Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
most economical way/place to get your fabric? >

most economical way/place to get your fabric?

most economical way/place to get your fabric?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM

You might check out ebay, I am embarresed by all the fabric I have gotten from ebay. Especially fat quarters and quilt backings.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Sign up for Connecting Threads weekly email specials..... they have great deals. Also Fabric.Com sometimes has 50% off online sales. I go to garage sales all season and buy the majority of my fabric.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 AM

In addition to the others, I like:

http://www.quiltfabriccloseouts.com/...tore/store.cgi

http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

http://www.desperatequilters.com/cgi...tore/store.cgi

http://www.overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

I have shopped at all of these, plus the others listed above and have always been pleased. Sometimes you can get good deals on bundles and jelly rolls on ebay, but I've found that I get better deals in some of these places. You can sign up for email newsletters and get notified of new items or special sales too.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare View Post
Get on the mailing lists of the online stores mentioned above, then watch for great sales.
This is how I purchase most of the fabric I buy
Hancock of Paducah always has sale fabric at $3.98/yard, and alot more at about $5. The sales are never in their catalogue; the minimum purchase is 2 half yards (they list all the fabric prices by half yard units).
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 AM

I use coupons whenever I can at JoAnn's or the $5.00 yd at my LQS, shop the bigger online sales & shop on e-bay for the stashbuilder boxes that so far (knock on wood) I've been very pleased with. Of course most of my projects are scrappy, but the combinations of colors/patterns have been well received by the recipients & envied by other family members, so it's worked out for me. Also friends have given me a lot of fabric when they found out I am quilting. I've even gone to GoodWill you can take apart old clothing to make quilts & line them with blankets cheaply from there. (Just wash it all real good first). Good luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Connecting Threads clearance has great prices and good service. Their regular priced fabrics are good too. All the others mentioned are some I also use.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Quilt guilds are a good source. They have fabric exchanges and in-house sales amongst themselves. Members always seem to be willing to help out when someone needs something in particular. And that group seems to be first to be contacted when a serious quilter has passed away or is dramatically downsizing.

The more local contacts you have, the better. Charity quilting with a group is a good way to meet people and make connections.

Dayle
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

I use 2nd hand stores, we also have a free clothing store here in my town. The ladies that work there go through and see what can be handed out for people to use. But then if they get material or clothes that have holes or small stains, they call me then and see if I want it. I then go there go through it and get what I want and they handle the rest. This little place hands out free clothes, dishes, odds and ends, etc. I guess I have made friends in the right areas. (lol)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM

I buy almost everything online.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I have found very few
"quilting type" fabrics at recent yard sales - nor at the thrift/second hand stores.

Maybe I don't get there at the right time?