Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most Excellent Patterns & Instructions >

Most Excellent Patterns & Instructions

Most Excellent Patterns & Instructions

Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 AM

I hate patterns with not enough words to explain what to do or assume the reader /quilter can mind guess.
Pictures don't explain everything photos are better .
Old 06-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I like lists that are bulleted

I actively dislike lists that are in paragraph form
Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
I agree with all of the above, but would like to add that I've always been completely satisfied with any/all of the Eleanor Burns' patterns, whether in books, online, etc. Occasionally, I've thought that there was way more explanation and diagram than really needed, but then I remember the confidence I developed early on a I used her patterns. They always, ALWAYS turned out just as they should have. She is tops.

All of the wants/needs are in Eleanor burns patterns....
Old 06-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Step by step explanations in simple terms. Diagrams of steps if appropriate. Multiple sizes with # of blocks needed to complete each size. Consider alternatives to making the blocks...i.e., "these blocks can be paper pieced" (and give the paper pieced pattern) or "you can use HST paper for this step".

Good luck! Hope all the suggestions you are receiving help.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Just a couple of points to consider-if using photographs look at the photo as it will appear in the pattern-taken in color but b/w in the pattern? A good amount of contrast will be lost so high contrast fabrics and tight focus to show important details are important. A picture that seems great, but is downsized for the pattern can lose contrast and detail. Also some techniques need left handed instructions as well as right handed. Deb Tucker does a great job with this.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:55 PM

I think the Terry Atkinson patterns are presented how I like to see them. Fabric requirements for all sizes are visible on the outside of the pattern, there is clear instruction on how many of each unit to make for every size presented, they tell if they are FQ or precut friendly, and the diagrams and instructions are clear. Seeing photos of the quilt in various sizes and colors is a nice bonus.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 PM

I mostly buy patterns for quilts that I can't figure out myself. For example, I just finished the Gravity quilt by Jaybird Quilts. The pattern for it was a book (too much to work out on my own), but very clearly laid out. There were lots of diagrams, and just enough text to explain. The text was simply written and not crowded. I would consider this an example of an extremely good pattern.

I don't like it when I have to "decode" a pattern before I can start on it. I like Judy Neimeyer quilts, but I hate her patterns - the text is crammed together, and everything is number/letter coded in a way that I don't find intuitive.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM

Rob--just did a VERY simple crib quilt pattern for a give away at the LQS--one thing that I struggled with (and I have to say I do not have a future as a pattern designer!) was how basic to make some of the directions and whether to include each little step. One thing that I did was put a list of abbreviations at the first (WOF, HST, etc) as this was intended as beginner pattern and us "old hands" sometimes forget that not everyone knows the lingo. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I want a pattern that has choices of sizes : wall, throw, twin, queen, king.
I definitely like this also! I usually want a size bigger or smaller than what the pattern is written for and hate having to try to figure out needed yardage, etc., on my own. Many times I will pass up a pattern if it doesn't have this information.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 AM

I miss Pam Bono too. I have all her books and info. So tragic.