Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Mountain Mist Blue book of Quilts >

The Mountain Mist Blue book of Quilts

The Mountain Mist Blue book of Quilts

Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Default The Mountain Mist Blue book of Quilts

One of my relatives found this cute old quilt book, The Mountain Mist Blue Book of Quilts, when he was sorting through boxes of family stuff and mailed it to me because my sister and I are the only quilters in the family.

It is an interesting little 48 page book, a step back in time, as it was published in 1956. A lot of the blocks I recognize...Lone Star, Grandmother's Flower Garden, Double Wedding Ring, Jacob's Ladder, Log Cabin, Irish Chain, Dresden Plate, Tumbling Blocks, and more. There are even more that I don't recognize.

The books isn't full of patterns, just pictures of quilts or blocks and what the pattern is called. Towards the back it says that Mountain Mist Patterns are not sold in stores because their publication is not a money-making venture, but a special service to the users of Mountain Mist Cotton.

Anyway, it is an interesting book, and I am enjoying looking at it. Talk about a blast from the past. This was before rotary cutters....and it just barely recognizes that machine piecing or quilting might be okay for a "really busy woman of the house"...because "every woman who loves her home, loves quilts."

Dina
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM

How fun! Also, nice to know the ancestors were into quilting.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 AM

I've always wanted to see one of those and I think at one point (maybe for the Bicentennial?) Mountain Mist may have published some sort of reprint. I know they used to include patterns with the batting.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:37 AM

Well, I have been researching this booklet online and have found all sorts of information, including a few for sale. Apparently this was one of many such booklets...well, at least four....not really sure how many, but I saw four different covers. (See, I have learned to call it a booklet, as that makes more sense than calling it a book.)

The cover and back of the booklet have quilts pictured in color, the ones inside are black and white.

I was 9 when this was published, and my mother didn't quilt, but my grandmother did. This booklet apparently came from the other side of the family, so there was at least one other quilter out there.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002215.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 02-08-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Mountain Mist batting for years always included a free pattern with purchase.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Mountain Mist batting for years always included a free pattern with purchase.
I think that is just neat. I suppose since I have only been quilting for 5 years that that is one reason I didn't know that....but it is just neat.

Dina
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM

That is so interesting. TY for sharing
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Definitely fun family and quilting history.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM

I love the Mountain Mist books. I have two. One from 1938 with pictures but no patterns and one from 1998 that has the patterns. Both are wonderful to flip through!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Well, I have been researching this booklet online and have found all sorts of information, including a few for sale. Apparently this was one of many such booklets...well, at least four....not really sure how many, but I saw four different covers. (See, I have learned to call it a booklet, as that makes more sense than calling it a book.)

The cover and back of the booklet have quilts pictured in color, the ones inside are black and white.

I was 9 when this was published, and my mother didn't quilt, but my grandmother did. This booklet apparently came from the other side of the family, so there was at least one other quilter out there.

Dina
I remember Mountain Mist putting a pattern with each sale of batting. The picture on the cover of that booklet looks like the Ohio Rose to me.

Last edited by GrammieJan; 02-09-2015 at 04:09 PM.