Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A movie I watched this weekend >

A movie I watched this weekend

A movie I watched this weekend

Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM

It was a good movie - made even more interesting for me because I also had the companion book. I think it was called The Making of an American Quilt or something like that. It has info on how they did some things and how some of the scenes were put together and how some of the quilting was done and things like that, including patterns for the blocks in her Biblical quilt. I gave my book away, but if you get a chance to find it, read it, then watch the movie again.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM

I'll look further for the book title. This title refers to a different book, as I discovered when looking on Amazon.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM

The book is a good one to read.
Originally Posted by marygrether
I saw an awesome movie, "How to make an American quilt". If this doesn't motivate us in creating our quilts , i don't know what will.

The movie has about 7 women sitting around creating pieces for a quilt. their memories go into it. Their good and bad. Which this was part of the movie. Some of the movie I wasn't too crazy about, but we have to have the bad with the good, the "memories" of the ladies in the quilting be. Just like our lives.

You have to see it to understand what I am trying to say. But its our memories that do go into our quilts. the quilt was beautiful as well. it was a wedding quilt, the story it told was beautiful!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM

Pieces of an American Quilt by Patty McCormick features all the patterns you need to do this quilt as well as the behind the scenes stories. I bought it last year, began to make the quilt by hand, had to put it aside to make baby quilts for my children's friends. Now I am making one for my first grandson who is due in November. My husband and I are so excited! I will eventually go back to the American Quilt as I love it. It was a great movie starring Winona Ryder and Anne Bancroft.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 AM

yes! susan, you got it! the quoilt can be cleaned, but without the love of someone what good is it? still I thought the movie was great.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SylvieJ
Pieces of an American Quilt by Patty McCormick features all the patterns you need to do this quilt as well as the behind the scenes stories. I bought it last year, began to make the quilt by hand, had to put it aside to make baby quilts for my children's friends. Now I am making one for my first grandson who is due in November. My husband and I are so excited! I will eventually go back to the American Quilt as I love it. It was a great movie starring Winona Ryder and Anne Bancroft.
I have that book also but haven't made the quilt. On my list! And how about lovely Ellen Burstyn?? Great cast. Lots of wonderful actresses :D Jean Simmons, Maya Angelou, Alfre Woodward, Lois Smith, Kate Nelligan, Kate Capshaw. Can you tell I've seen this a lot?? hee hee. The guys were cuties too :)
Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 AM

I loved the movie also. And I felt the same about dragging the quilt on the ground. I couldn't believe she did that either, after all the work and drama that went into it. But, I will watch the movie again...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
That is one of my go to movies when I am bedridden. There is one thing that bothers me. At the end Finn is walking with her newly quilted quilt that the Grass Quilters stayed up all night to finish for her and she is draging it along the ground and you can see it getting filthy. The first time I saw it I believe the words came out of my mouth not just thought in my head "PICK UP THE QUILT!!!!!!!!"
OMG! That's what I said!!! I can't imagine if there were any actual quilters consulting on the movie, that they didn't scream and say the same thing!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

That's what WE would think. But when you are 26 and in love???
hee hee
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
That is one of my go to movies when I am bedridden. There is one thing that bothers me. At the end Finn is walking with her newly quilted quilt that the Grass Quilters stayed up all night to finish for her and she is draging it along the ground and you can see it getting filthy. The first time I saw it I believe the words came out of my mouth not just thought in my head "PICK UP THE QUILT!!!!!!!!"
The minute she mentioned the name of the movie, that was the scene I remembered and had the exact same reactioin.