Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MSQC half hex ruler >

MSQC half hex ruler

MSQC half hex ruler

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Default MSQC half hex ruler

I got both the 10 and 5 inch half hex rulers from MSQC when they had their free shipping special. The 10" is great , but the 5" is actually almost 5 1/4" inches and a full 2 1/2" so not only it it too wide for a charm square, but there is no room to cut off a bit of the fold to make two pieces. If you want a full 1/4" seam, you have to unfold and cut. The tutorial illustrates it with jelly rolls, which WOULD be fine, but also says you can use it for charm packs, and then ruler is actually too big. I contacted them and they said the ruler is fine and to just split the difference on the over-size, but this doesn't seem right to me. If I was going to guess how big to make it, I wouldn't have purchased a special template. Has anyone else purchased this template and had any problem? I suppose I could cut my own squares, but again, defeats the point.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
BMP

Sorry about your ruler, this is the 2nd time I have heard of a problem with templates from them..the other was the wacky web template that was said could be used for the periwinkle quilt pattern...it also was not the right size but in the magazine it was correct...I have been making my own and having the home center cut them from plexi. Its almost free they charge so little !!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 PM

I have both of the half hexi rulers from M*QC too. I haven't played with the larger one but I have the smaller one. I too noticed that it was bigger than my Moda charm pack squares. I just thought the squares were cut funky as they can be sometimes. I've not made anything with the templates yet so I don't know how this will affect the overall project.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM

I have both of their half hexi templates and I've used the smaller one on charm squares and jelly rolls. Just center the folded edge just "a smidge" inside the long side of the hexi and cut. It makes no real difference in the finished product. If it would make it easier for you, perhaps you could mark the ruler to make it easier to line it up.