Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Murphy's Law Day Of Quilting! >

A Murphy's Law Day Of Quilting!

A Murphy's Law Day Of Quilting!

Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Ever have one of those days when you probably just should not be quilting? Mine was today. I now have my overly pin basted Creature Feature top (See picture in another post) all made into the perfect quilt sandwich. This morning I attached my walking foot, threaded up a bobbin and threaded the machine with Coats and Clark cotton machine quilting thread. I worked and fiddled all morning with my machine tension to try to get the perfect stitch. Nothing was working. I finally decided that I had adjustments done to do ok. So Off I started with my stitch in the ditch. Two horizontal center anchor rows done, and what a mess, the thread bubbled on the underside, the thread broke once, and I discovered that the all cotton coats and clark was fraying into the thread up take area of my machine. I thought it was a problem with the machine. Hubby decided to re-read my machine book, and asked all kinds of questions. The final result was him riding his motorcycle to the fabric shop for new needles, and then again for different thread. Bless him!!! I switched to a sharper quilting needle and an all purpose thread and finally got some perfect stitch in the ditch rows. I don't think I am a fan of the CC machine cotton quilting thread, but there is not a lot to chose from here locally. My machine seems to love the all purpose. Go figure.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM

I had the same experience with CC-but I was using hand-quilting thread-hand quilting a quilt-the thread kept freying-thought it was my needle, changed several needles, even brands of betweens, but it still freyed! I won't use it again. Unfortunately, I have about 20 spools which I got 50% off at Joann's!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:32 PM

V. Jill, I have always used CC thread because it was easily obtained, and because they have been in business for years. But that cotton machine quilting thread leaves something to be desired for me. My machine just does not like it. I was trying to do this project kind of by the book. Cotton fabric, cotton thread, but it simply did not work. Live and learn. I suppose. I did research during the turmoil, that there are quite a few quilters here who use the all purpose, so I think I should be OK.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Murphy visits my neck of the woods too. You think everything is ready to roll, and here he comes. I've never had a problem with any specific type of threat, and in fact some of it isn't even labeled because it was great Aunt Fanny's thread stash. Lucky you though that you had a DH who was ready to ride into a LQS to save the day. What a hero! Better yet, what a man :-)
Kudos to him, and blessings to you.

P.S. Now that I know Murphy is terrorizing the west, I will be prepared, I hope. :-)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM

What a fun excuse for a motorcycle ride :) Too cold and windy here yet.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 PM

I gave up o the CC thread long ago after going nuts thinking it was needles or machine--the darn stuff was FLAWED when I looked closely....

Just take a deep breath, two chocolates, and come back tomorrow :>)!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Now I use the coats & clark big spools & have no problem with them. I do think I had trouble with the quilting thread tho but I don't think I had it in the bobbin too. Guess it's just not meant to go in our machines......
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Forgot to tell you, when you REALLY have to watch out is when Sullivan and O'Reilly come out to help Murphy play----

Like the day when I burned two pans of food (yep, sewing!),I sewed in a whole row upside down on a KING size quilt top, my sewing machine motor caught on fire, and THREE other machines went down on me after that....
Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Forgot to tell you, when you REALLY have to watch out is when Sullivan and O'Reilly come out to help Murphy play----

Like the day when I burned two pans of food (yep, sewing!),I sewed in a whole row upside down on a KING size quilt top, my sewing machine motor caught on fire, and THREE other machines went down on me after that....
GOOD GRIEF!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor

this is frightening I now count myself lucky! :)