Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleece backing-----Murphy's Law :(

Angry Fleece backing-----Murphy's Law :(

Remind me next time when I try something new , to start with something small...potholder comes to mind.
    I have followed the post from some ladies who used just fleece for backing. I wanted to make a throw which
    would be soft and warm. Well , that was an adventure,what could go wrong ,went wrong. I pinned the quilt
    really well or so I thought. by the time I got to the outside of the quilt the backing had shifted. Not only did
    I have to trim the borders down by 1inch,I have ripples and puckers too. What did I do wrong???Did I stretch
    the fleece , that is what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Christina

Good grief I made the pictures to big...sorry
    Christina

I don't know what to tell you. I'm working on my first fleece backing now. I spray basted it. I am doing straight-lined stitch-in-the-ditch. I'll post when I'm finished.

Blog Entries
    Pretty quilt

I used fusible web. It kept it from stretching.

Fleece is a stretchy material. There is extra care needed when quilting with it. That's why I wouldn't use it and why I stick to cotton.

Did you just use the fleece and no batting? I'm getting ready to quilt a John Deere throw and I ordered a beautiful vintage JD fleece. I was trying to decide whether to use the batting and fleece or just the fleece. The throw has some denim in it.

Love your throw!
    Last edited by sylviak; 11-01-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Yes I only used the fleece. I don't think I could have quilted it on my machine if I had added batting. It was really thick and heavy.
    I think I will try the spray basting next time. I have to say though, it is very soft and warm and I will definitely make another one for my husband. He already grabbed this one.
    I think I will quilt it with a simple grid next time,not do the freemotion like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3plus2granny View Post
    I used fusible web. It kept it from stretching.
    Will the fusible web make the quilt stiff??

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Pretty quilt
    Thank you, found the fabric in our just reopened fabric dept. in Walmart.

I like spray baste in general - but I don't think I would attempt a fleece backing without it! It glues the stretchy fleece to the not so stretchy cotton - I didn't have any trouble at all with the one I did. I don't know about fusible web - it would work - but the spray washes out.

I think with the fleece being so stretchy you will need to use a walking foot.
    Tammy

I've quilted two lately that had batting and a microfleece backing. They are thick. I pinned really well and I was lucky enough to have a machine where I could adjust the foot pressure. They both came out great . I am certain that without the foot pressure adjustment I would have had problems. Does your machine have that feature?

Blog Entries
    I did not use fleece but I used a microfiber blanket. I thought it would make a warm cuddly backing for a lap quilt. I had the same problem. I taped it down, pinned it well, and still I had a lot of puckers. It feels good but looks very wrinkled on the back. I will not do that again

I made my grandsons Christmas quilts that I backed with fleece. I did not experience any shifting. I think it may have something to do with the type of fleece you buy, some of it is very silky which may lead to the problem you experienced.....Hope you have better luck next time. I plan on making a couple more quilts using fleece, they are very warm....
    Life would be nothing without friends.

I think it looks great
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

I think it looks great! You did a great job working with fleece on your DSM. I'm not brave enough to work with fleece/minky on my DSM only on my long arm

Blog Entries
    I love the colors in your pretty quilt. Did you quilt on your DSM or Longarm? I have only made a baby blanket with minkee and used the zigzag stitch to help with the stretching problem (no batting). I also did minimal quilting. I look forward to other replies.
    Helen T.

Thank you Ladies for your kind remarks...I quilted it on my Janome 6500, do not own a long arm.
    It was like wrestling a bear )),and now I will have to make an even bigger one for my DH.
    I just thought of something I might have done wrong.I left the feed dogs up, that probably didn't help.
    When I quilt a regular quilt I always leave the feed dogs up,it just works better for me, a lot more consistent stitches.
    Thank you all for the helpful advice.

Sorry about the trouble working with it - but you're the only one that knows ... 'cause it's beautiful now!

Love your fabric and quiting. Can't give you any feedback on backing. I haven't tried using fleece yet. Will watch this post and hopefully learn something from others experience.
    To God be the Glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
    Sorry about the trouble working with it - but you're the only one that knows ... 'cause it's beautiful now!
    Awww ...thank you , it is very cozy and warm.

I used fleece on a baby blanket, I sprayed it and did pretty simple straight lines, it worked out good, only a little shifting. I love your fabric, I made a tote bag from it, I think it has a Boheme (sp??) chic look to it!!.

Blog Entries
    I used fleece on a couple of blankets (smallish) with batting and I spray basted and did free motion and had no problems

I don't have an answer but from those who have posted before it sounds like it streched. No matter, it's wonderful. I love the colors and who notices a few ripples when you're snuggling under it?
    Shannon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast