Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Murphy's Quilting Laws >

Murphy's Quilting Laws

Murphy's Quilting Laws

Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM

When done quilting you SEE a black block where the WHITE bobbin thread shows??? A black magic marker to the rescue!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have a friend who is a famous machine quilter -- she has a quilt that has won ribbons -- it has fabric scraps quilted on the back.

The only pin on the floor of the sewing room is the one that DH found with his foot.

After patiently cutting blocks with 4 layers of different fabrics you find that you have one piece folded in half so the pieces are too small -- and of course that is the only fabric you don't have any more of.

It is 11PM an you are ready to quilt your white quilt and you realize you have every other thread in the rainbow (including shades of gray and tan) but no white.

You are working under the CFL lights and you pull colors to match your focus fabric. You finish the quilt, and take it into a room with natural light and discover that the color in the focus fabric is not medium orange but medium pink.

The only seam ripper you can find when you need to rip some real tight stitches is the one with the broken tip.

You get ready to go downstairs to quilt when DH asks for help for a minute -- however it takes him an hour to get things ready for you to help him.

One more:
Your main machine is having problems so you pull out the machine you take to class. Unfortunately, you chain piece a whole strip before you realize that the needle was in the wrong position for a 1/4" seam.
I had to laugh with this one. DH always finds my lost pins, with his feet. I never do. And now that our two daughters are sewing, he's been finding their pins, too. Poor guy doesn't stand a chance, lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM

After days of careful effort, you find out that knowing how to do something is not the same as being able to do it!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM

You have a 60% off coupon for a single cut of fabric only to have all the fabric you can use to already be on sale for 30% off so you can't use the coupon. This just happened to me this week, I walked out of the store completely empty handed.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
I had to laugh with this one. DH always finds my lost pins, with his feet. I never do. And now that our two daughters are sewing, he's been finding their pins, too. Poor guy doesn't stand a chance, lol.
How so very true, however this week I was in my sewing room and had a pin stick me in the side of my foot. How the side I have no idea.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
You have a 60% off coupon for a single cut of fabric only to have all the fabric you can use to already be on sale for 30% off so you can't use the coupon. This just happened to me this week, I walked out of the store completely empty handed.
Don't do that again. Remember quilt backings among other such fabrics are seldom on sale.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
After days of careful effort, you find out that knowing how to do something is not the same as being able to do it!
Lol What a great thread. The above is so true for me!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Don't do that again. Remember quilt backings among other such fabrics are seldom on sale.
Fantastic idea & I will remember it but I don't remember ever seeing any backing fabric at any of the unmentioned stores that I was referring to but will check the next time I go in just in case. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Ripping out a mistake to discover later it was not a mistake in the first place.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 AM

You want to iron pieces, continue chaining pieces, cut fabric . . . but the cat is napping right where you need to work, and not in the mode to move.