Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Murphy's Quilting Laws

You have hurried to get the laundry and other asundry chores finished so you can spend the afternoon sewing, set down to the machine. . . .and from the top of the stairs you hear, "Honey are you busy? I need your help!!

Your favorite quilt shop re-orders the black fabric you want because there's not enough on the bolt to suit your project. Every time you go the shop---with a full wallet I might add---they haven't gotten it in yet. But when you don't have the extra funds and can't make the 45-minute drive out to the quilt shop, you get a call saying the fabric came in.

And of course, least in my case, it HAD to come in a few days before the shop was having a 20% sale on all fabrics! Which I couldn't take advantage of at the time.

When planning out your quilt, you put shrinkage into account and later realize you didn't have to add on the extra yardage. Probably have enough fabric to make a table runner or two. The ONE time you don't account for shrinkage and you have to go out buy more fabric because it shrunk too much and you're a few pieces too short.
    I am my own worst quilting police...but sometimes I let myself off with just a warning.

QM
    When you are finishing one last thing for the quilt show (or for immediate mailing), every triffling thing goes wrong.

Scraps breed, but never include the one little bit you need for an applique or PP project.

When you finally use up that ugly fabric that has been taking up space for years, you find that it would have been perfect for the very next project.

After sewing row upon row together you take a look and find in the middle of them all you have one turned the wrong way!!
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

You finally can get back to sewing after a hectic year and now is the time hubby decides that all those annoying home upkeep projects need to be completed, the deck and bathroom needs painted, the HOA decides that everything about the outside of the house is in need of some sort of annoying little attention, and you get a handful of letters saying the same thing every other day. How many ways can you say we have crab grass? Stop it already.....oh, sorry (deep breath) ....I think I went a little off topic there.

Jim
    ....when trying to make deadlines...the machine stops....nothing...nadda...you clean, oil, check everything...even to make sure their is electricity and cord didn't come unplugged...you rush and buy another machine...a week later you think to check the old machine and it works perfectly
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    you have just appliqued the perfect leaf----and added a third layer your skirt !!!!
    You have just given me my laugh for the day!!!

that piece you saved for the binding?

not enough.

(remember the cadbury secret guy's voice? yeah.)

aileen

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I have pinned and pinned to match my seams on sewing 2 long rows together, removing the pins as I sew, only to find when I get to the end my bobbin has run out of thread way back at the start!!
    Oh Man I hate when that happens!
    Cindy

i have laughed and laughed! i have none to add except that i was born Teresa Marie Murphy with red hair and green eyes and it shall haunt me all of the days of my life!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

been there ... done that ... and will do it again!

just finished the quilt top, and a very obvious, wrong piece is slam in the middle of the top!!
    Shirley Cooper

Since we've all been there and done that .... I guess that makes us sisters LOL

Suzy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fien777 View Post
    cutting 300 60 degree diamonds , then turn the page of the pattern and discover they had to be 45 degrees........
    ouch!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
    - Your perfect machine will decide to behave only when you have a dedline.
    - If you need a yellow thread that will be the only one missing in your collection of 743 threads.
    - When there is nothing left to do except enjoy sewing you will have power outage just because.
    That's why you have a treadle sewing machine in your collection!!!

You hate putting the binding edges together and finally get it perfectly done only to find that you've cut them too narrrow..... Arrrrrrgh!

Blog Entries
    When your sewing your binding to the quilt and run out of thread 5 inches from finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    been there ... done that ... and will do it again!
    Oh yeah ...
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I didn't know y'all had all been to my house and watched me quilt! Been there, done that! Only exception was that my leaf was sewn to my nightgown, not my skirt!

The automatic iron switched off 10 minutes ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    Working with white on white fabric never saw that I had one of the borders sewn on the wrong side, not when I sewed it on, pressed it, pinned the three layers together, quilted it by crosshatching until I was sewing the binding on by the machine on the front side.
    These are all so great, but this one especially. I recently did that on an X-block quilt, though it was a fabric within the design not a border. Found it way too late to pull the block, so it's still going into the September guild quilt show. Bet no one will notice that one (maybe two) aqua pieces were wrong side up. I hope. I don't enter to win prizes, so not concerned anyway.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

All of the above! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Get the bobbin filled with thread only to drop it, cat finds it and the chase is on---allover the house. Ever try to rewind bobbin after cat has had fun?
    Kathy Osterby

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    When you try to do just "one more" late at night--------it's guaranteed to need ripping!
    Yep, this happens to me a lot. I never seem to realize when the old brain is just too tired to go on!

Blog Entries
    If you say to yourself "I better be careful or [fill in bad thing here] will happen" Murphy will make sure that the bad thing will happen. Like when I said, I better be careful when I trim this block because I have a ton of finished blocks laying on the cutting board. Well, when I was done trimming, they were not so finished any more because I had whacked right into the pile. DUH!
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast