Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away. >

Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away.

Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM

Default 11.25

Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
I am learning to quilt. I am doing my first quilt on my DSM. I really want to do this, I love it so far except for the horrible pain in my shoulder/neck from muscle spasms. I am prone to these from working at desk on computer all day. but was hoping to be able to quilt without so much pain.
I was so disappointed to have to quit very soon after starting a quilt yesterday due to pain. I have a great new machine, 11.25 inch throat - just need to be able to learn to use it without so much pain.

I am not sure my table is low enough/chair high enough. Does anyone else suffer from this and have suggestions on how to change things so that it does not cause this strain.

I wonder if it is a problem when using a long arm standing up? anyone have any trouble with muscle spasms when using the long arms?

Thanks,
Terri
terri what kind of machine do you have ?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Excellent advice everyone! I'm printing these out for future reference.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM

Pat suggested that 12" from the seat to the top of the table is good, but you may be proportioned differently. I know I am. I recently had a lot of pain working on a desk that wasn't the right height too. I ended up modifying a desk to fit me better. The height of it is 27.25" now, and my arms are almost at a right angle (90 degrees) when I sit at it on an 18" chair. That's less than 10" difference for me (I feel like such a hobbit!). Pat's suggestion is a good ballpark, based on averages, but sit at the desk and see how much you're angling things (arms, neck, back, etc)

Definitely recess your machine. I posted a thread tonight on how I modified a desk to make it recess any machine I have. It was "easy", if a little time consuming to plan out, and cheap.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM

For me, drinking plenty of water helps relieve muscle spasms.

Proper ergonomics and physical movement
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Pat suggested that 12" from the seat to the top of the table is good, but you may be proportioned differently. I know I am. I recently had a lot of pain working on a desk that wasn't the right height too. I ended up modifying a desk to fit me better. The height of it is 27.25" now, and my arms are almost at a right angle (90 degrees) when I sit at it on an 18" chair. That's less than 10" difference for me (I feel like such a hobbit!). Pat's suggestion is a good ballpark, based on averages, but sit at the desk and see how much you're angling things (arms, neck, back, etc)

Definitely recess your machine. I posted a thread tonight on how I modified a desk to make it recess any machine I have. It was "easy", if a little time consuming to plan out, and cheap.
Thanks for clarifying, you are exactly correct, I am a retired interior designer and when it was critical I used to seat my clients in the exact chair they would be using at a work space. I personally am long waisted and use an adjustable height chair which compensates for that variable, I should have posted that but forgot to. Oh well age has its privileges and sometimes drawbacks.!!
Hugs Pat
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I do need my chair higher than you'd think. I've even used a kitchen stool when my machine was not recessed in a cabinet. I had the same problem with my shoulders when I started. A child's backpack with 4 pounds of weight in it helped my shoulders and my lower back, too. I don't need it anymore. Clotilde's and other retailers sell a better looking back pack for this, but I'd rather spend my extra money on fabric.
Ooh - this might be an excellent repurpose for the Ninendo backpack that Gus no longer uses.

I can't stand for long periods of time without extreme lower back pain, so standing, you might switch one pain for another. I agree with the comments about making sure your body is correctly lined up with your machine.

Cheers, K
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

shrabar I have a Brother Dreamwearver.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Banned

Well tonight I decided to try putting my machine on the cutting island I use, and I am so happy to say standing and quilting made a huge difference. Thanks Prism99 for the tip. No pain in my shoulder/neck area, just a little in my foot that is not working the foot pedal. That is from it bearing all the weight. I believe a rubber mat will help this. I am so happy! I really do love learning to quilt and was very discouraged by the pain. I will definitely try many of you suggestions, some really good ones. I also need to drink more, I am not a water drinker at all, something I really need to work on. Did not realize it would help the muscle spasms. Thanks to everyone for the replies!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

I have some arthritis in my neck and the pain in the neck from cutting and sewing went to my shoulder and for 4 months it is bothered me. I just got finished with Physical Therapy for this and it took two months of PT to feel better. I even had a shot in my shoulder. I just have to do upper body exercises to keep it stronger. I hope you feel better. Do you have one of those corn or rice bags you heat in the microwave? It really helps and the doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer and it helps.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM

For anyone thinking of trying a backpack, I just checked mine and it's my 1 pound weights that are in it, not the 2 pounders, so the total was 2 pounds. I also thought of swiping some rocks from the garden, but the weights were handy and worked.