Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings re: stash and purchasing >

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM

I have a very small stash, mainly real bargains I couldn't pass up and most of it is juvenile so I can always use it for baby quilts for friends and neighbors or the NICU. My limited space also restricts me from having a large stash.
A woman I worked with had so much fabric she didn't even know what she had. She just bought and bought whatever she liked and of course, it never got used. To me that is a waste of money.
I have no problem with other people's stash. Just my own opinion.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

I stash for many reasons, one is when inspiration strikes , I can act on it without having to go to the store. I find it distracting sometimes to have to go and search out ... I am much more likely to finish a project if I can start when I really want .
I stash because over the years often when I see a fabulous fabric ... it will probably be gone when I finally figure out what I will do with it. So for me the process is different its fabric first .. Figuring out the project for the fabric is second.
Additionally I do not want to always pay full price .. so when I see a piece I know will have use on sale I buy it.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM

I do not stash, per se. I do have two types of fabric that I collect: Daiwabo Taupes and Liberty Tana Lawn. Even those have quilts that havev either been started or in the planning stages. Everything else was pretty much purchased for a specific WIP.

I would like to have a stash but my tastes change too much. Not to mention the fact that I do not design my own quilts. I tried a couple of times and it is not for me. I like to buy patterns and occassionaly kits. So having a large variety of fabric at my fingertips for midnight inspriation flashes is not something that is a necessity for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM

You should never feel that you are not a quilter just because you do not have a "stash". The only reason I have a stash is because I frequent auction sales and I also went to a big rummage sale when I was in New York a few yrs ago. My DIL sent everything I bought at that sale to my home. I had 5 huge boxes and 1 1/2 the size of the others. We also purchased flannel sheets at an outlet out there so that I could make quilts. I sewed many and sent to New York that my daughter sold for me. If I have a coupon I go to Joann's or Hobby Lobby. I don't have any particular colors in mind, or patterns but I have a lot of them stashed on my computer just to print out. My youngest is now interested in quilting and when she comes home this weekend we are going to set up a bunch of "kit" projects that she can take back with her and sew. she never plans on using the same pattern so she will need a lot of them. I also got a lot of large cones of thread that my DH bought on an auction sale. I do have Connecting threads pkgs of thread that I bought to use as the thread on the outside of a quilt. Otherwise I use the cones for my squares, etc. I work off the farm, so I save some of my money to buy what I want. I have purchased in May a Singer Sphinx that I had all cleaned up and I bought a FW that I used to make my oldest grandson a small quilt that he helped make along with a matching pillow. I would like to be able to have a long arm but I don't see that in my future, unless I happen to be at an auction sale and it goes cheap. The last one I saw sold for 12,000 on the sale. A grandma purchased it for her granddaughter as she planned to do a lot of quilting. Never heard what happened to her. The one reason I have a lot on hand is because I live 50 miles from Minot and about 120 from Williston as far as fabric buying is concerned. So can't just decide to run to the store to buy some fabric to make a quilt. Sorry for so long winded, but each to his own. To stash or not to staash that is your own perogative.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM

I have a stash simply because I love buying, touching and gazing at beautiful fabrics!! I just can't resist. I don't spend my $$ on booze, cigs, clothes, jewelry or "going out" I pretty much only buy fabrics and quilting supplies

It is wonderful, however, to be able to go into my room, open my cabinets and just pull fabrics that strike my fancy that day and whip up a quilt. I have done this dozens of times!!! Especially if you are tired and can't get out shopping but you just want to create and sew.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

I am a stasher that is for sure, not only with sewing and quilting things but Cross Stitch too.

I always think if I don't get it now, it might not be available when I need it. Or I might not have the funds to get it at a later time.

Truthfully, I am very glad that when I was working I "stocked" up on so much. Now when I want to do something, I have most of what I need to do it.

There is nothing wrong with not having a stash, don't let anyone tell you there is.

robin
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM

I use to be able to say I only buy fabric for a certain project but that was long ago in a land far away.....
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM

I am a stasher because I adored fabric before I learned to quilt. They give me inspiration and make me smile. I know lots of quilters who do not stash (other than usable scraps from projects). I do have to admit it does looks strange going into their sewing room and there is only the fabric for next project. Different strokes for different folks. If we were all the same, how dull life would be!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Do what works for you. I was into thrift shopping quite a bit a few years ago and I bought a lot of stash at cheap prices. Since we didn't have a lot of $ coming in, it was the only way I felt comfortable taking up quilting as a hobby. Besides, if I bought a lot of expensive fabrics and then didn't like it, I'd have been really unhappy.

Now that I've about reached my space limitations I have stopped buying unless it's for a specific project and I have nothing in my stash, like most of my stash is washed and I wanted to do a OBW which requires an unwashed piece...so I bought for that.

Most all of the 8 or 9 completed quilts and the 4 or 5 tops I've made so far have been mostly or completely made from fabric on hand. I got into log cabins using 2 1/2 inch strips and just cut, pieced and quilted up a storm for quite a while. Now, I'm trying to move on to different patterns, still using mostly fabric on hand.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM

NOT stashing is a good thing - buying only whatyou need - unfortunately - I have a spending habit (this must be a 12 step program) - used to be on my kids -now they are grown . . . then it was clothes for me becasue I was working outside the home and it was time for me. Now I work at my computer at home - so it ic just comfy clothes and Wally world is just fine . . . hoever - I sometimes get my fancy struck by a particular piece of fabric - happens when I am looking for something totally different and if it is on sale. . . watch out I'm there ! You are the lucky one !!