Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings re: stash and purchasing >

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM

I stash because of rising prices. I suspect eventually that there will be times where I will not be able to afford material (have two girlies going to college in 2 years, etc).
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM

My stash, which is not very large, is made up of fabrics I have found on sale, mostly REALLY GOOD sales. I have several grouped together to be used together (like kits) and others just grouped by colors. I love making scrappy quilts, but, since I am still fairly new to quilting, I don't have a lot of actual scraps. I now have enough of a stash to have plenty of variety in my scrap quilts.

Usually, when either I or my mother buy fabric, we buy for each other as well. Generally, if one of us runs out of a specific fabric, she can get more from the other. I had to get some from her a few months ago to complete a quilt. Just a couple weeks later, I was making her a bargello and needed more of the fabric I wanted to use for the border, so I shopped from my stash. I had gone back to store where the fabrics were purchased to see if I could get more, but they were out on both occasions.

If I wasn't into scrappy quilts as much, I would probably just buy for specific projects, too.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
I stash because of rising prices. I suspect eventually that there will be times where I will not be able to afford material (have two girlies going to college in 2 years, etc).
I agree. I hope to be quilting for many, many years to come. I am working right now, so I can afford fabric. However, when I retire, I won't have as much income and the prices may be beyond what I can buy then.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM

I have a stash because:
- I inherited a lot from my Grandmother and her side of the family.
- I cut up a ton of clothes/bedding
- I've gone to thrift stores
- I've been given a lot from friends/the home ec department in the school
- I buy on SALE. :) In my entire stash there's probably only 8-10 yards that I paid full price for.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Not stashing is probably a very sensible decision. Fabric tastes do change. I have fabric in my collection that I wouldn't buy now. On the other hand, much or it was either given to me or purchased on sale for less than $2 a metre so I am gradually using it in Community quilts or as backs. Storing large amounts of fabric does take up space and I am always amazed at how many quilts can be made from a fairly small pile of fabric. Do what works best for you.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
- I usually just go to my cupboard and pick the next project from what I call my stash. If I ever get snowed in for a week or so (sometimes I WISH that would happen!) I'd have plenty to keep me busy without running out of something to do.
ME TOO! Doesn't happen too often in KY! LOL During the ice storm I had no power so I couldn't have used my machine but I could have sewn by hand! Back then I wasn't sewing much so I just played games with the kids and cooked 3 meals a day! Boy that cooking 3 meals a day was a change for me! LOL I cooked Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for about 10 people on our gas stove. Just had the top part to use. We ate really good though. :) Wouldn't mind being snowed in now-we have a generator. :) We were able to take showers with warm water unlike some because we have a gas hot water heater. We were very blessed. :XD:

I have very limited funds and have a very small stash but I can see what you are saying. I do love looking at all of these stashes that people have and I just drool. :shock:
Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Reading through other's responses has brought me to a conclusion. I don't have a stash, as I said earlier, however, I have quite a few WIPs. For me, those have taken the place of a stash. Since I don't do my own designs when the urge to create strikes I go and sew on one of my projects.

I have thought many, many times how nice it would be to just think about making a quilt, shop my stash and then complete it (or at least the top). I admire those that can do that. Especially when the need for an 'emergency' quilt comes up.

I have however, a sort of toy stash. I purchased my sewing machine, my spinning wheel and other 'stuff' that goes with that, as well as knitting needles and supplies when we had two incomes. I'm glad I did that because now with just the one income I have the hardware and just have to get materials. It is much easier to afford fabric and yarn than a machine or other tools.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM

I don't usually buy too much fabric anymore since I have a stash. My mom usually buys it for me. My goal this year was to use my stash up. Still might be quite a while! :-)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
What are your reasons for stashing or not?
Because I like a fabric and may use it, if not immediately, then in the future, when it would not be available. A lot of times I see a fabric I would like for a project, only to find it came out more than a year ago and is no longer available.

And because I can. Someday I may not be able to afford to buy the fabric I want. I can now, so why not?

Ditto!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 PM

I have two buckets - one that is all self made kits and the other has sizeable pieces of fabric that have been left over. I pull from these when doing something small - like a block for my calendar wall hanging.

Just today I purchased all the fabric for a specific quilt - including the book and backing fabric. It's the Camelot line from In the Beginning - I have everything I need to make a Merlin's Magic blue wall hanging; it will go (with the book) into a large ziplock bag and into the kit bucket. That is the first time I have intentionally bought something to put in that bin that I know I won't make until later. But this particular fabric is BEAUTIFUL and I knew I wouldn't be able to get it later so I just did it. I even pulled the $$$ from "Mommy's Mad Money" so no one is any the wiser!!