Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings on washing vs not washing fabric >

Musings on washing vs not washing fabric

Musings on washing vs not washing fabric

Old 07-16-2019, 04:09 AM

I wash all my fabric before using it. I do a lot of hand applique so I use some precuts. I gently wash them as well so I don't have any surprises.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 AM

I prewash everything because of one son' s allergies to many things. Recently I used three name brand layer cakes to make three crib quilts and my hands have blistered --dry blistered-- on most of my fingers. The doctor says it must be the fabric and only says to wash thoroughly and use lots of lotion and get done ASAP !! I have been tested for allergies before but probably not these.....
Old 07-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

For me - if I would wash a large piece of a particular fabric for all the reasons that I would wash it - I would wash small pieces of the same fabric for all the same reasons.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM

I have always washed first and have had no lent problems.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:34 PM

I washed fabric before using due to allergies. Now I just put them through a rinse and spin cycle. It seems to have the same effect as washing, takes less time, saves detergent and water. Put it through the dryer and that takes care of any shrinkage. I also have less fraying of the edges.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Every piece of fabric that comes into my house stops at the washer and dryer first. I use Shout color catcher sheets in the wash. Most dark colors and some reds will still bleed some. I'd hate to do all that work and then have one fabric bleed and ruin a quilt.
I use flannel for my backings. There will always be a lot of lint with flannel. I just make it a habit to clean out my machine after each quilt. I love the softness of flannel and it shrinks a lot. I don't want any surprises when a new quilt gets it's first bath. For me- Better safe than sorry!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 AM

I wash all my fabric before cutting it, I serge the ends to prevent fraying. Think of how dirty the factories are where fabric is made, then the chemicals they use on the fabric. I always look at it this way, would you wear brand new clothing you just bought especially undergarments before washing them.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I wash all my fabric before cutting it, I serge the ends to prevent fraying. Think of how dirty the factories are where fabric is made, then the chemicals they use on the fabric. I always look at it this way, would you wear brand new clothing you just bought especially undergarments before washing them.
Especially thong underwear!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 AM

I recently read an article about flannels. It advised washing flannel twice before using. That's just too much work for me. I'd rather be sewing than laundering!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
I recently read an article about flannels. It advised washing flannel twice before using. That's just too much work for me. I'd rather be sewing than laundering!
There are times that haste does make waste.