Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
muslin and other fabric questions >

muslin and other fabric questions

muslin and other fabric questions

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 AM

Hi there

I read here a lot of times about muslin. google says that it is loosely wooven cotton. Is that correct and what for do you use it? Isnt it too thin for patchwork?

Does anyone know where I could get a fatquarter pack with landscape prints like sky, clouds, sea, land and streets. I just found single prints in yardage but a pack would be great and I like very high quality fabric.

One more thing. Do you know an onlineshop with fabric for clothing, specially for boys clothes in cotton.

Thanks for reading and would be great if you could help me.

Granny
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

string quilt blocks can be done with muslin as a base.
i used to find good muslin but now it's extremely thin, so i wouldn't use it for piecing like i have in the past.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59
Hi there

I read here a lot of times about muslin. google says that it is loosely wooven cotton. Is that correct and what for do you use it? Isnt it too thin for patchwork

Thanks for reading and would be great if you could help me.

Granny
Just on the muslin granny 59 - in the US what is called muslin is known by UK suppliers as quilters' calico. But allso known as muslin in France and Switzerland. I use lots of it - for backings, and linings. Best place for price is
http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk
theirs is good quality, several widths, in natural and white.
The "muslin" they sell is the loose woven stuff - great for machining strips onto, I've used it for hanging sleeves too.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

I found different 'grades' of muslin, from very loosely woven to very tightly woven. I use alot of muslin, I love the way it looks in a scrap quilt, the scrappier the better in my book! It's great as a stablizer, or a foundation for a crazy , string, log cabin, you could use it on a reverse applique....summer jammies..... fantastic as a 'strainer' for yogurt instead of paper towels...
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM

I would go to Keepsake Quilting for sky, trees, stones etc. for landscape fabric. It is www.KeepsakeQuilting.com
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
k3n
Power Poster

If you have an Ikea near you, check this out http://www.ikea.com/ch/fr/catalog/products/51725112 It's fairly loose weave and feels a bit stiff when new but it washes up lovely and soft. I've used it for backings too - great as it's 150 cm wide - cheap too! By the way, be sure to prewash it as it does shrink a bit.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM

thank you all so much. So I think I understand the muslin business: most of the time used for stabilizing. If you use it for backing, doesnt it wear off fast or doesnt the batting come trough?

Next I will check out the link for the landscape fabric :D
Would it be possible to use quiltfabric for kidsclothes or does it wrinkle too much?

Great Board by the way
Granny
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Since we have nothing but WalMart here, I am using fabric from LQS for my grandkids Easter duds.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny_59
thank you all so much. So I think I understand the muslin business: most of the time used for stabilizing. If you use it for backing, doesnt it wear off fast or doesnt the batting come trough?
The stuff from Ikea is what Americans call 'muslin' (I think) but what we Europeans call 'calico'. It's a fairly loose weave unbleached cotton, it's not like you'd use to strain jam, if you know what I mean! I've used it and washed it in a couple of quilts and it holds up fine! :-D No batting poking through! It's not that thin. :-D
Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 AM

I use muslin for backing all of my quilts except baby ones. I also use it when I want to hand embroider squares, such as redwork. I get it at my lqs for $3.99 a yard and it is very good quality.