Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin As Quilt Backing? >

Muslin As Quilt Backing?

Muslin As Quilt Backing?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

People do use muslin for background piecing, as backing for quilts, wall quilts, table runners,and the list goes on and on. I'm glad you were able to salvage the muslin, although sad about having to go through Hurricane Sandy - I can't imagine. Of course use the muslin, I remember a member of my quilt guild who bought bolts of muslin for hand dyeing her own fabric and wouldn't use anything else. Having a print backing on a quilt makes it two-sided, but in my own experience, I seldom switched over my quilts to use the backing as what you see on top. Use it and I'm glad you got such a terrific bargain - it's meant to be used. I also use a good quality muslin when I make dolls, such as Raggedy Ann, as I feel it makes them look more realistic, plus they are washable, when you put them in a pillow case - trust me I've tried it and it works. Hope your life gets back to a somewhat normal life again. God bless.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM

I have used muslin often for the back of quilts. Just be sure to wash it first for my experience with muslin is that it shrinks quite a bit.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM

I recently saw displayed at my LQS a lap-size quilt that I love, and plan to do a similar one myself: muslin front and back, with squares of pretty fabric top-stitched into place to make the pattern. Slightly ragged edges on the squares give it a loved and used look. It could be done in color-coordinated or scrappy fabrics and look great either way.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Swap Hosts

Suzanprincess, I'd love to see a photo!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM

At the price of fabrics these days I think muslin is a great idea for the backing. I'd much rather save my beautiful fabrics for the top of the quilt. And as everyone says you don't have to piece the backs...win, win situation IMHO
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

So sorry for your many loss. I have used the wide muslin for large quilt backings for more than 30 years and have both hand quilted and had them long arm quilted. Never have had a problem, in their appearance, durability or washability.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
I have looked at what American quilters call calico and it is different to what Australians call calico, ours looks like a unbleached cotton fabric, is ours what Americans call muslin?
Yes, your calico is our muslin. In the US calico usually means a small, primarily floral, printed cotton.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM

I would be sure to prewash as shrinkage may be a problem compared to LQS fabrics. I have used it without a problem - also for pillow cover linings. Just made one yesterday. N
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM

I've been quilting about 15 years now and about 95% of my quilts are backed with muslin. I just love the feel of it and when I gift a lap quilt, (which is most of them), I honestly get so many compliments about how nice the quilt feels against their skin when it's backed with muslin. The few I've backed with regular cotton quilting fabric, I've not heard this comment at all.

So it's a personal choice, no right or wrong, but I love using muslin as a backing and clearly folks love receiving quilts backed with muslin.

Oh, and I always use the best muslin I can get my hands on.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Since you have it, use it. For variety, you can always tea dye it. I try to use darker fabrics for backings, so I might try some other dyes after washing the muslin, too.