Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any one made this pattern ?

Any one made this pattern ?

I found this quilt pattern at Annies and I am thinking about ordering it. Before I do I was wondering if anyone made one like this before and if so how is it made. I want to make sure it's not to complicated before I order it as I'm a newer quilter. If anyone has a link to a free pattern like it so I can look at it that would be nice too.

This gets you to the images?
    http://www.anniescatalog.com/image.h...1&mode=gallery

This is the catalog page in case the above doesn't work
    http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=95701

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Sandy

It's a beautiful quilt. Not sure that curved piecing is for a beginner. Will keep checking back to see if anyone has made this quilt and what they have to say about it. Maybe there's a tutorial somewhere.

Those are fairly gentle curves, if you have done any sewing at all they shouldn't be that hard, just pin lots and go slow.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Those are fairly gentle curves, if you have done any sewing at all they shouldn't be that hard, just pin lots and go slow.
    I agree. Also, since they are larger blocks, they are easier to do (easier than small blocks, that is). I think you should be fine. Go for it! It is really pretty, especially with colors that blend, as in the photo. Have fun!

Someone made one very similar and posted a pic of it here a couple of weeks ago. It was almost identical to this one but I can't remember what it was called so I have not idea how to tell you to search. But it is a beautiful quilt. Maybe someone else will remember it.

The pattern says it's for beginners. Wish some one here had done one so I have an idea what I'm getting into. Still nervous about ordering it.
    Sandy

I say go for it. I am still relatively new and have never tried a curve till a few weeks ago. I have two baby quilts I am working on that have curves. One is done and at my bros house the other is taking me longer because there has been much stress and sickness here. I found the curves challenging and not that bad. I have been quilting for about 3 years now. still new at it. I do like that quilt you found and with 10" blocks you should be good. just go slow and pin lots and take your time to enjoy it.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Don't be nervous. I admire that you're willing to expand your horizons and learn something new.

A few years ago, I designed a miniature quilt that had curved piecing. It was very difficult. I kept making mistakes and finally put that project aside. Made several other quilts before I picked that one back up to discover that I had gained some skills and experience, and was able to piece those curves successfully!

So, what I'm saying is, if you love that quilt, buy the pattern and practice on scraps. If you're not good at it, you can either keep practicing, or you can put it aside for 6 months or so while you work on other projects, then try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jstorm67 View Post
    The pattern says it's for beginners. Wish some one here had done one so I have an idea what I'm getting into. Still nervous about ordering it.
    Try piecing some gentle curves on your sewing machine with scraps. look at some of the tutorials and practice. You will find that curves really aren't that hard. Try to do some dunkards path blocks in 10 inch. Those are curvier than the quilt pattern you are looking at. If you can master those you can do any curve!! Wish I lived closer to you I could show you.

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DrunkardsPathBlock.html
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    I myself would not buy the pattern I am going to draw it out and try it on my own. looks like fun. the waves are not to bad to sew just try a bigger block and see how you like it.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

check out u tube. they have demos of several quilts. I love the missouri quilt demos. the ones with the quack? in the intro. I made a drunkards path after watching several times and my curves were perfect for one quilt anyway!!
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Pretty pattern! I say go for it! The pattern would possibly give you some hints/tips. Just know it's going to be something you may have a little learning curve on but I'd be willing to bet by the 4th or 5th block, you'll have it down! Let us know your decision!

Looks like one I did recently that required a special ruler. I've seen this one on Fons & Porter TV show and don't remember if they used a special ruler for it. The special ruler I bought would allow for making a number of different sizes of blocks.

Blog Entries
    Something similar can be done on EQ7. Block library/ Orange peels/ Josephs Coat or Flower Petals. Save one of the blocks to Sketchbook and edit it by removing all the curves except the 2 for the wave. The pattern prints using templates with the seam allowance. When sewing the curve, gently lift the fabric as the seams are sewn, use a small stitch and sew slow. Snip the curve along the seam and press to the curve.
    As proof by the posts on the QB, there are several ways to figure out quilt blocks. This one worked for me. Might not be exact, but it is similar as I stated above.

I think it's beautiful and if it's for beginners I'd say go for it! Then let us see the results which I'm sure will be perfect.

Do You have a link for one your talking about. I don't usually have much luck searching in there.

Quote Originally Posted by cindypierce View Post
    check out u tube. they have demos of several quilts. I love the missouri quilt demos. the ones with the quack? in the intro. I made a drunkards path after watching several times and my curves were perfect for one quilt anyway!!
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    Do You have a link for one your talking about. I don't usually have much luck searching in there.

Jstorm, If you look at the very first entry, there are several links for this quilt.

I'm just in the process of quilting this pattern.
    I too saw it on the board a couple of weeks ago.
    It was made with a Creative grids curves for squares 6" x 24" ruler. Squares can range from 5" to 10".
    Whichever size square you decide to cut, when sewn together the square works out 1" smaller.
    I found it fairly easy as the curves are very gentle. It's abit like piecing a Drunkards Path block.
    If you plug into creative grids video demonstrations they show the various arrangements that can be made using the ruler.
    Will post a pic of my WIP so you can see what it's like.
    Northern lass

I, too, have bought the ruler, called "Curves for Squares". It was a little pricey, and I haven't used it yet. On the video they mentioned that the start of the diagonal MUST be straight or your points will not line up. I watched the video on the Checker Distributor website. (the one my LQS owner uses).

Linda in MIssouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by northern lass View Post
    I'm just in the process of quilting this pattern.
    I too saw it on the board a couple of weeks ago.
    It was made with a Creative grids curves for squares 6" x 24" ruler. Squares can range from 5" to 10".
    Whichever size square you decide to cut, when sewn together the square works out 1" smaller.
    I found it fairly easy as the curves are very gentle. It's abit like piecing a Drunkards Path block.
    If you plug into creative grids video demonstrations they show the various arrangements that can be made using the ruler.
    Will post a pic of my WIP so you can see what it's like.
    Northern lass
    Did you use the ruler? It is quite pricy, and if I bought the ruler for every project I want to make, I wouldn't know where to store them all!

It's called Savannah and it has a special Creative Grids ruler that is curvy. I did it in a class. It's really easy, and not too scary for beginners. The fun part was that the way they did it at our store was everyone that signed up picked a dark batik and a light batik, when everyone had selected in advance their 2 colors, the shop cut all the pieces into 10" blocks and everyone got a little of everybody's colors. It was really cool, we tried to get people to stick with earth tones but some people weren't having any of that so there were some colors that just popped against the earth tones.
    Laura