Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must have Thread colours to have on hand for Quilters >

Must have Thread colours to have on hand for Quilters

Must have Thread colours to have on hand for Quilters

Old 08-24-2020, 04:58 AM

Blue is my favorite color, so I buy lots of blue in different shades. I'll use any color to piece because I don't use sheer fabric. Color only matters to me when quilting.
Now, if you fall in love with metallic threads, use metallic thread needles. The eye is more elongated. Also, I learned to use regular thread in the bottom, not metallic.

And, don't give up on free motion. practice ...
Old 08-24-2020, 05:45 AM

I pretty much always have a light to medium slate blue/grey and an off white to tan, one on top and one in bobbin loaded on my sewing machine and use them for almost all my piecing. I mostly scrap quilt and can rarely match thread more than a piece at a time, but slate and camel disappear most of the time.

This year actually I'm trying So Fine as a bobbin thread so it's all white on the bobbin.

I only buy "fancy" threads as needed for specific projects.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I lalso like sort of a light sage green - there is another greenish gray (like Easter Egg dyes at the end of the dying session) that blends with a lot of colors. Actually, I've learned that I can use almost any drabbed medium tone thread with most fabrics.

I have a large "stash" of thread - so I'm trying

I used to think my thread had to match very closely for sewing seams. As long as the thread does not show from the front, it does not matter.

I do get indecisive when I am hand sewing white - or a very light color - to black or a very dark color.

It's been a while - but I think I used a light color thread on the light side, and a dark color on the dark side.

I really agonize about what color thread to use when I am hand piecing a light and dark fabric together.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 AM

When I started my collection of quilting thread, my girlfriend said "get some gold". I really questioned that color, but I got some gold thread. I cannot believe how many times I have used the gold. It's just crazy. My first thought was that it would be great for Christmas quilts but I have really used that color a lot. I also have a fair amount of pinks and purples. Even though you didn't really ask for types of thread - I have the best luck with Glide 40 Wt embroidery thread for my longarm quilting. They really have quite the selection.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:59 AM

The colors you have on hand are perfect for piecing. I use CT’s “Natural” almost exclusively for piecing. I do have a collection of colors, but I use them for quilting, not piecing. Whether you machine or hand quilt, you may want colors besides these for quilting, but some people only quilt with white or off-white, so it’s just personal preference.

You didn’t ask about brands, but I use CT for everything. I have dabbled with other brands, mostly Superior, but I don’t find I get proportional value for the very large difference in price. Other users have different opinions; you will have to decide what works for you.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:24 AM

IceLeopard, Thanks so much for the tip. I looked for wording saying to report the post. I just can't stand these sickos that think they are being cute.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:36 AM

Everyone, Thanks so much for the replies. I've written down the manufacturers, brands and colours you mentioned. Looks like most have gone through a learning curve on what brand, product line, and colours work best for their own tastes. Guess that will be what happens with me also.

So piecing is basically done with 50 weight thread. What weight is suggested for machine quilting? I will be doing grid for seam quilting. Of course, I don't see that well, even with glasses, so my seam quilting, which I tried yesterday will not be perfect. Yesterday I missed here and there by about 1/16 inch.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 AM

As far as colors to have on hand I keep one other one not on your list. Mauve. I can use that with pinks, oranges and yellow and many other secondary colors depending on the fabrics. The type and weight of you threads as other have mentioned are more important.. I use Glide, you can get it from CT. It is made by Superior Threads and one of their brand collections. Very smooth and strong. Plus it is reasonably priced.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:49 AM

I think thread weight is a personal preference.
With regards to piecing, I only use Bottom Line, which is a 60 wt thread. I tend to make quilts with small pieces and find the finer thread gives me more accurate seams (less bulk in the seam).
Regarding quilting, if you want your quilting to stand out, use a heavier thread. If you want it to quietly sink into the background and let your piecing sing, use a finer thread (such as Bottom Line). A plus to using finer thread is you can get away with a thread color that doesn't match your quilt. I have a friend who swears by pale blue, she says it blends in on almost all quilts.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

You mentioned sight issues. I have found ising a charcoal gray on black helps especially when hand sewing bindings. As many have said, colors don't have to match. I second their suggestions.