Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Must Be Missing Something?

Must Be Missing Something?

Wilmington Fabrics has a free pattern that according to their YouTube tutorial, "You can pick up at your local fabric store or download from the Wilmington site. The pattern name is, Starburst.

Wilmington even has a YouTube tutorial for this pattern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yZu6FJcYQ For the life of me, I cannot find the pattern to download. The Wilmington website has a pretty picture of the pattern sheet but I cannot see where to download, I'm wondering if you have to be a retailer, but then why does the YouTube direct that you can download from the website?

Has anyone here had any success in either obtaining the pattern from their local quilt shop or been able to download it from the web?
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I took a look and also could not figure out how to download the pattern. Came up empty when googling, as well.
    Lisa

I found this pattern in a kit version. The picture shows simple piecing so you can probably figure it out on your own.
    https://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Wil...ion_decimals=1

I don't use Google I use Duck Duck Go search engine. I get better results and no tracking of searches.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 04-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I found this pattern on Free Patterns.com. The only catch is that you have to join their website group - it's free. Good luck, it looks like an intricate pattern and yet, beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    I found this pattern on Free Patterns.com. The only catch is that you have to join their website group - it's free. Good luck, it looks like an intricate pattern and yet, beautiful.
    I couldn't find it at FreePatterns. Would you mind posting the link to the page where it is? Nothing came up on search at the site.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You may need an account with them. There is a log-in page on the site. You might try to contact them and ask about the download. The link for downloads doesn't click to download. Good luck!

It almost seems like the patterns are for quilt shops that buy their fabrics and then the shops can kit the fabrics with the free pattern.

Here is the download page... http://wilmingtonprints.com/projects?p=5 It is near the bottom of the page--2nd and 3rd options. The title under pix is Gems, Jewels, & Crystals--Starburst project.

I figured out the pattern by taking pictures of each different part in the YouTube video. The measurements are very clear because they are laid out on a 1" grid cutting board. I took the pictures and made note of the measurements of each finished part. In order to draw it in EQ7, I had to combine the 4 blocks that made up the corner blocks and draw them as a single block that is 20x20 finished. There are 4 parts to each corner, so will be easy to piece. The strips used are 2.5 inches that finish at 2 inches.

The block size changed for the middle and instead of the 10 inch blocks that were part of the 20 inch corners, they became 8 inches to make the center star. I drew this as an 8x20 inch sashing leading to the middle solid color block. All the strips in these finish at 2 inches. The first border is 5 inches wide on the top & bottom and 3 inches wide on the sides. The next border is supposed to be a pieced border. The piano strips are 2 inches wide finished. The top & bottom border is 5 inches wide finished and the sides are 4 inches wide finished. When you add the binding of 1/2 inch finished, the quilt should measure very close to 63x69. My version of the Patriotic Starburst but without the piano border.

Edited to add: Hancock's of Paducah's version has square corners. I have no idea where the difference is in the measurements between my version & the official one. This is my version of the free pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Here is the download page... http://wilmingtonprints.com/projects?p=5 It is near the bottom of the page--2nd and 3rd options. The title under pix is Gems, Jewels, & Crystals--Starburst project.
    Well drat! I was sure I had found it,--very pretty-- but will not d/l. I think (as someone already mentioned) you must subscribe to gain access.

BarbinLa, your drawing is very pretty. I just realized it would be a good pattern for scraps. I love it.

I submitted a request to join. I'm not a retailer though so may not get approved.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 04-14-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Wilmington usually has lots of free patterns that anyone can download. I've downloaded a lot of Wilmington patterns without signing in. I think the website is having problems.
    Annette in Utah

Barb your generosity in time and talent always amazes me. Your brain works very differently than mine I would never be able to decipher her instructions without you taking the time once again to help. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Thank you to everyone for suggestions and your time in trying to help, I appreciate each and everyone of you for trying to help.

I do think that perhaps Annette may be right that it's an issue with the site, I sure hope it's not a new policy that only retailers can download the patterns.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

I got an email. The patterns are for retailers that sell Wilmington to download and the shops can have them on their site for anyone to download free. Fat Quarter Shop has many of them on their site. This is how the patterns are free to the public via the retailers. The pattern is four years old so probably won't be on any current quilt site unless the shop gets a lot of request to repost it.

She does the quilt directions on the YouTube video. I like that quilt, thanks for sharing

Turns out that I get them free all the time, because I have a retail account, and am always signed in. This old brain isn't getting enough oxygen at night. But... If you go to your local quilt shop, I'll bet they'd be glad to help you get those awesome, free, Wilmington patterns.
    Annette in Utah

I wonder if it's bc it featured a line of fabric in 2015? Maybe it's been archived or something? I'd send the company an e-mail - if the tutorial is still available and says it links to a free pattern, the pattern should be available. Alternatively, they should take the tutorial down or at least remove the link.

Blog Entries
    I am concerned about the statement 'you can pick it up at your local fabric store'. I work in a fabric store and have no knowledge about this Ever happening here.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-16-2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: shouting/ all caps

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    I am concerned about the statement 'you can pick it up at your local fabric store'. I work in a fabric store and have no knowledge about this Ever happening here.

The manager/owner has to sign up. Many don't have a clue to what is available other then what is offered by the distributor used.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-16-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well i found the page that does offer free patterns and there is 61 pages but I didn't find the pattern you were searching for. Here is the page http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...ts.cgi?start=1

Wow, there sure are alot of free patterns there, dozens of pages of them! Thanks, btiny36!

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I found this pattern in a kit version. The picture shows simple piecing so you can probably figure it out on your own.
    https://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Wil...ion_decimals=1
    I don't use Google I use Duck Duck Go search engine. I get better results and no tracking of searches.
    Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make. A good way to use up left over strips.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    Wow, there sure are alot of free patterns there, dozens of pages of them! Thanks, btiny36!
    You are very welcome. I did also make a comment on the video asking where the pattern was, but haven't heard back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast