Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musty smell... >

Musty smell...

Musty smell...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Try useing some linen spray and hang the fabric outdoors ,or put the fabric in the dryer on med heat.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM

I also buy vineger by the gallon, great for chocolate cake !!( recipe is a family favorite ) LOL but not a joke.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM

So, let me see if I am understanding right, you use the vinagar and baking soda in the wash at the same time? I use vinagar in the rinse when I use bleach. I have some musty smelling fabric I need to do something with.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM

I am a Project Linus coordinator and we were told by a Dr. that we should not use fabric that smells musty or moldy even if we wash it. Washing will not remove all the mold spores so anyone that is going to be affected by molds ( allergies, asthma, copd) should not be using a quilt made with this fabric.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM

DITTO on baking soda nd vinegar...and, "just in case" the musty smell really doesn't leave after hanging outside (just doesn't smell to you) I'd err on the safe side and wash it!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM

I would use my detergent (non perfume), color safe bleach, and some Oxyclean. I use this combo all the time and have never had a problem with smells lingering or from colors running.

Also, maybe leave the fabric in an airtight container (providing no moisture whatsoever) and put a 1/2 cup of either ground coffee or some charcoal (none of that ready to light stuff, lol wouldn't that be a mess).

I am fortunate to have a Sanitize cycle on my washer. I would also use that as it would kill anything that is in the fabric. The temp gets to 180*. Of course it may shrink it some too, but six of one half-a-dozen of the other.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by grammynan
I was given several boxes of fabric that was obviously stored in a basement. All of it has that musty-basement smell.

Do you think just airing it out will get rid of the smell? Or should I begin the long process of washing it all? Should I use anything special in the washing cycle? Should I use cold or warm water?

Any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Nancy
Definitely wash the fabric. You don't want your house smelling musty too.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM

if it was stored in a basement, you want to wash it anyway. it's probably full of dust and mites. just be sure and use a washer bag for the smaller pieces and serge or zigzag the edges on the larger ones.

i always found the soda/vinegar treatment to work on all kinds of smelly things, so that's where i would start. if that didn't work i would separate out the whites and (gasp) bleach those. for the colors i would use borax or ammonia with my detergent. at that point you have nothing at all to lose anymore. you can test for colorfastness and use bleach on anything else that's colorfast. i'll be more than you think. whatever still smells, get rid of it before it smells up everything else.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Google Goddess

did you get the musty smell out of it yet?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 AM

I haven't tried yet! I haven't been to the grocery store to get the vinegar and baking soda.

I'll keep you posted!

Nancy