Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips? >

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 PM

To me, paper piecing was akin to having to serve time in prison.

Then I saw the video showing how to "pick" holes in the paper with a sharp object prior to piecing.

I have a tracing wheel that pokes holes and seems that should do the trick. I think I will try it again.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM

I finally learned how to PP and it was super cool. Then I didn't have a chance to do anything with it. I tried to do a simple star last night and was so irritated! I couldn't remember how to get it started. I had the computer on and DH can hear me grumbling. I just need to practice more! I love the quarter inch ruler and my little wooden pressing thing. Just have to use more fabric to make sure I have enough and practice every so often!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:26 PM

You have been watching me and I told you that I am not a good teacher!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Try this way! I won't do it any other way!

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
Oh! Good! Maybe I won't have to try to turn my head upside down if I do it this way.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM

I love paper piecing, and use only copy paper. I do not have the patience to hand trace patterns onto any type of foundation papers, and the ones I've found that can go through my printer, both at home and at work, are just too wicked expensive. Copy paper takes the iron well, doesn't mess up my cutter blade, and is easily removed if you make sure to pull all of the seams gently in both directions so the paper rips a little. I just a fine point tweezers to pull out any little stubborn areas of paper.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM

my favorite thing to use is used fabric softener sheets. on low iron iron them out (I use a old hankie over them) and trace the pattern on them and sew. that is it you do not have to remove the sheets so no ripping or messing up the stitching. oh be sure to sew around the outside of the blocks on the outer line after piecing so it stays flat. Ravonda
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Try this way! I won't do it any other way!

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
That's a great tute, isn't it? Takes some of the mystery out of the process. I use typing paper or paper from my printer. I have some old thin paper that I can see through easily & it's my favorite for pp and if I hold my mouth just right it works in my printer.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 PM

I love the precision of paper piecing! I use cheap copy paper also, and usually download patterns from internet sources, or copy on my printer. I use smallish stitches. When I paper piece, I set my ironing board to the same height as my sewing table and put them next to each other in an L, so I don't have to get up to go iron after each seam. I use Best Press each time I iron because I like the crispness it gives to the piece, and I have never noted any shrinkage at all. I can't remember where I saw the idea to dampen the paper before you try to remove it, but that works so well! I use tweezers to get at the little bits that stick here and there. Removing the paper is a good thing to do with your feet up in front of a good movie!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM

get carol doaks video. its the best ,you can adapt if you want to. i always sew through the paper and leave it in until i put the blocks together. you are usually working with bias cuts so this keeps them from stretching out of shape. i also buy light weight printer paper and use that to print my foundations. if you do this use a piece of muslin to protect your ironing board. some inks will transfer. dry iron only.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 AM

I use the freezer paper method, but I don't sew through the paper, I just press it back and stitch next to the fold. The pressing the fabric to the paper holds it very well and this way I can reuse the paper several times before I need to make a new piece.If you precut your fabric withabout 1 1/2 x the seam width, you have a lot less fabric waste. You just trim down small amounts as you cut your 1/4 inch seams and you always know you have enough to cover what you need.