Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips? >

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 AM

I need to learn more on paper piecing, got link from craftybear, so thats a start.

what I thought was somehow trace the pattern then cut it out then put it on the fabric.

also a question would wax paper or brown paper be just as good as freezer paper? thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM

cr12cats, gotta try that one!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
I need to learn more on paper piecing, got link from craftybear, so thats a start.

what I thought was somehow trace the pattern then cut it out then put it on the fabric.

also a question would wax paper or brown paper be just as good as freezer paper? thanks
nope. Waxed paper would just make a mess on your fabric, iron, needle and anything else nearby. Brown paper is wayyyy too heavy. you just need something that will go through your printer, and be easily torn when you are ready to remove it.and the cheaper the better. I have used desolvable paper also--but it just didn't work well for me.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM

ok Bobbin along, love the name!! thanks for that tip, see you taught a newbb something.. so freezer paper is it.

thank you much!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM

I paper piece just like Kitsy (2nd post) and I find it to be much easier than sewing on the paper. No removing of paper except the freezer paper pattern at the end. And, I don't seem to get as confused this way. Of course, it's always easy for me to get confused. LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM

I did a pp flying geese quilt and "traced" the pattern with an old unthreaded needle on my sewing machine, but I don't know if it would work for really elaborate patterns, it might shred the paper.
Jo
Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 PM

With all the good tips, I may have to give paperpiecing another try--I do love the great corners it makes, but I have real problems cutting the fabric to the right size. piecefully, the old one
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I do paper piecing on regular copy paper or the packing paper you can get at moving supply places.
The first thing I do is make a copy on the copy machine. Then pin 4 or 5 papers under it with lines on top and then with no thread in my machine "sew" all the lines. As you unpin be sure to mark with a pencil mark either the front or back just be sure to do them all the same. I find the holes of the sewn lines makes it easier for me to get the pieces right. The light shows through.
If you are only doing one block, "sew" the lines on those pieces.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 AM

I like the twiddletail freezer paper method the best. It takes away all the anxiety as to whether when you fold out you've covered the pattern. The times I've flipped over to open out and a corner of a triangle wasn't covered. Reverse sewing isn't the easiest that sometimes I've chucked away and started again. I steered clear of FP for a long time until I discoved the twiddletail site and now it's a technique that doesn't faze me. All I need to do now is get over my phobia of machine applique. I avoid it like the plague! Merry Christmas to you all and God bless.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM

If you ever have an opportunity to take a class with Carol Doak, do. I have been pp her way since the beginning and it works every time. I too, use copy paper. I don't like using interfacing because I like my iron hot! Keep trying, its the perfect way to piece.