Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Amazing Featherweight >

My Amazing Featherweight

My Amazing Featherweight

Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I had purchased a beautiful Octagon shaped Table Topper from Riversong a few weeks ago. It was a Dresden Plate pattern done in shades of purple and she did a fantastic job. As much work as goes into one of these toppers, I would not do one for what she charges. She is so reasonable. Back to the story, I looked at it and thought I would like to try to make one for my kids. I selected Fall and Thanksgiving colors and went to work. When it came time to do the FMQ, this was something I had never done before. So I started out doing SID on the Dresden Plate petals. My Brother did a good job, however, when it came to the meandering pattern, I did about 6 inches of it and decided it had to be taken out. You cannot drop the feed dogs on my Brother so I soon found out this would not work. After becoming close friends with my seam ripper (again), I decided to get out my Featherweight. (my favorite machine) Even though it is 1/2 the size of the standard machine, I found there was the same amount of room under the throat (maybe even more). I started to do the meandering. After a few inches of doing this, I was so excited. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I cannot take a picture because my camera died, but as soon as I get it finished, I will get a picture of it and post it. I was about to give up until I started working on my amazing little Featherweight. If you have one and have a small project like a topper, a doll quilt or a miniature, try it. You may be just as thrilled and surprised as I am.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM

sometimes it's the little things in life that get the job done.I love my featherweights,yes I have 2 of them. happy for you!!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I think it is an amazing little workhorse. Glad to see someone else agrees.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I didn't know you could do that?? Great news!! I love my FW and love any chance to use it :)
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM

I was making a wedding veil for a friend's daughter. The bride wanted 1/4 satin ribbon on the edge and the only machine I found that would do the job was my featherweight. I had professionals tell me it couldn't be done, but we did it!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

I want one of these so bad!!! I am looking for a Centennial one from 1951 since that is my birth year. Just need to find one for a great price I can afford.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 AM

Check out the 301s. The price isn't as great, they weigh just a couple of pounds more, have a built in carrying handle, are gear driven, and you can drop the feed dogs. Sew just like the FW. Got rid of my FW in favor of the 301 in fact.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM

I have heard that you need to be careful about quilting on FW if doing something large. The motors were not meant to run for hours at a time.

I have no idea if it's true. They are so well-built that it makes me doubt the story, but so little and cute that I think it might be true. Anyone know for certain?

Certainly a table topper should be fine to do - glad it worked out for you!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM

I have quilted on my FW and works great for small projects. I have also used a walking foot with much sucess.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Power Poster

I guess I am safe here. I cannot sew for hours at a time. (LOL) I probably sew for about 1/2 hour at a time when I am doing FMQ. And, this little featherweight seems to be a real workhorse.

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I have heard that you need to be careful about quilting on FW if doing something large. The motors were not meant to run for hours at a time.

I have no idea if it's true. They are so well-built that it makes me doubt the story, but so little and cute that I think it might be true. Anyone know for certain?

Certainly a table topper should be fine to do - glad it worked out for you!