Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My attempts at FMQ +  UGGGHHHH!!!! >

My attempts at FMQ + UGGGHHHH!!!!

My attempts at FMQ + UGGGHHHH!!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 AM

Dottymo is absolutely right! An adult beverage made my meandering stitch meander all over the place--even into areas I had never meandered before! In reality, it relaxed me and I finally got the feel for the motion and speed that worked for me. So far tho, the largest thing I have attempted is a 16 inch block--and 6 of those put together will make a nice sized crib quilt.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 AM

It will help if you can also practice on paper or a dry erase board by positioning the marker in a fixed stationary position and moving the paper or dry erase board underneath, the same way the fabric moves. I don't know how to accomplish that, just saying practice doesn't have to be with an actual quilt sandwich. The brain and muscle memory you get from practicing is the same either way. Longarmers practice with paper and dry erase boards all the time. Less expensive that way, and you can do it while watching tv, etc.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 AM

I think they look fine! We are our own worst critics.

What worked for me was to focus mastering what I thought was my best when I first started. For me that was loops and swirls. It was a long time before I was happy with my stippling. Now I'm satisfied with that and have moved on. Look at your samples and see what you think came out the best and keep practicing that until you are comfortable. Then move on and learn something new. Don't be afraid to try anything and remember there are so many tutorials and books out there that you can try different ways of doing things if one method isn't working for you. My favorite "ego booster" was the Hooked on Feathers books by Sally Terry. Her method has enabled me to gain the confidence to actually quilt feathers on my quilts, not just practice sandwiches.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I think they look fine. I agree with some others who say start small. You can't expect to be an expert on all the fancy designs after a bit of trying. And, you will never be perfect at it. No one is. You can get to be very very good, though, but that takes practice. I am not to the very very good yet, and may never get there, but I am at a place where I am satisfied. My stitches are mostly even and I am comfortable with a meander now. I'm branching out to stenciled designs but that is taking more practice. Don't set the bar so high right now. You can always move it up with more practice.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM

I am taking a class on craftsy and its really good and tons of tips that I did not know. I can't wait to try them. Think the class is by Cindy Needham.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 AM

I wish mine looked that good. As to the plastic wrap - I tried that once with the same results. Cursed it. Recently read about using a Frixion pen rather than permanent marker. I may give this technique another try. A hot iron might be the ticket for getting all that out.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 AM

I think you did wonderful
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Your quilting looks really good, keep up the good work!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 AM

Well looks like your well on your way to being a pro. It takes about 6 months of working everyday for about 15 to 30 minutes to get the hand of FM. Teaching those muscles a new trick take some time. Even some of the best quilters really stunk when they first started out. Pat yourself on your back, your attempting something that many will not, you will succeed just hang in there!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:40 AM

From what I see, you are being too hard on yourself. It's looking very good. Relax, have fun, keeping stitching and you'll be amazed at your next quilted piece.