Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My best tips >

My best tips

My best tips

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM

You can get your shape up ruler at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon this week and several next week.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM

[quote=Bev]
Originally Posted by Feathers
To clean my iron I simply use a little Greased Lightening on a rag and it comes right off. Then rinse with another clean rag. Since I always have Greased Lightening in the house it's easier and cheaper than buying special stuff. 8-)
Greased Lighting...who woulda thunk. I have that around the house. Have to give it a try. Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM

silverfish used to really like the vodka starch but they all died from liver diseases. tee hee or maybe they choked on the olives. or were just to dizzy to last from being first stirred or shaken. Of course you attract a better set of bugs if you dont use cheap vodka...
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
silverfish used to really like the vodka starch but they all died from liver diseases. tee hee or maybe they choked on the olives. or were just to dizzy to last from being first stirred or shaken. Of course you attract a better set of bugs if you dont use cheap vodka...
:-D :lol: :shock:
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I know this will sound strange for a tip but believe me, it works. Not being the best quilter in the world, I find myself doing a lot of unsewing. As a result, I use a LOT of unsewing tools and they do get dull rather fast. Falling asleep the other nite, I got a brilliant idea. My DH was a salesman for professional knives for meat cutters. They have to constantly sharpen their knives. So do restaurants. They use a tool called a hone. I'm sure many of you have heard of it or maybe used it. My DH taught me how to hone my knives so I have the sharpest in town.

I have a hone but no clue how to use it.
When I got up the next AM I took my dull unsewers and sharpened them on the honing tool. IT WORKED !!!!!. This will sure save money.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Margie
What is "greased lightening"???

Also, you can clean your iron by running it over fabric softener dryer sheets...works really well and it is cheap.

Margie
It's a household cleaner that works amazingly well on almost anything. Once I even cleaned a large greasy spot from a silk skirt of my daughter's. She was throwing it away after a dry cleaner hadn't been able to fix it. She's been using it ever since.
Greased Lightening can be found in the cleaning/laundry section of most grocery stores, Also in Walmart and Target.

8-)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 AM

I have never been on one of theses sites but i do enjoy reading them SewSewGal
Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 AM

TYVM!! Hmmmm I dont remember ever seeing it...but now I will look for it. Maybe it will clean the "gook" off my embroidery hoops left from using basting spray!

Originally Posted by Bev
What is "greased lightening"???

Also, you can clean your iron by running it over fabric softener dryer sheets...works really well and it is cheap.

Margie
It's a household cleaner that works amazingly well on almost anything. Once I even cleaned a large greasy spot from a silk skirt of my daughter's. She was throwing it away after a dry cleaner hadn't been able to fix it. She's been using it ever since.
Greased Lightening can be found in the cleaning/laundry section of most grocery stores, Also in Walmart and Target.

8-)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

They also sell Greased Lightning at Dollar General if you have one in your area. I have also tried *Totally Awesome* as a cleaner and as the name implies...it is totally awesome and only $1 at Dollar General. Haven't tried for cleaning irons tho.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Bev

TYVM!! Hmmmm I dont remember ever seeing it...but now I will look for it. Maybe it will clean the "gook" off my embroidery hoops left from using basting spray!
8-)
[/quote]

I bet it will. I use it all the time for "gook" cleaning. It gets the grease totally off my stove burners. The best thing is that it doesn't do damage to anything. At least anything I've ever tried it on, and I've been using it for years. The label would have to be enormous to print all the things it works on. :lol: