Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My best tips

I just started back into quilting lately. The last time was prior to when rotary cutters were well known and 505. /So you can see it's been awhile.

I love this site as I get a lot of tips. The best two tips I have tried were the June Tailor Shape Cut mat . This is the best thing since carmel fudge ice cream. My cuts are accurate, quick and they are not all cattywampus. It was well worth the money!

The second was to starch, starch, starch, then starch again. I had always iron my seams, but I couldn't believe the difference starch made. It was easier to sqaure up my seams, sew seams and the blocks look wonderful!

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for all the tips.

Blog Entries
    Yeah!!!!!!!! I have the June Taylor shape cut too. I will someday get the largest size but the one I have now suits my needs. I am so happy you tried it. I just couldn't believe what a difference it made. Then when I starch and press I can quickly see what needs to be squared.
    Two really great tips. I also have learned worlds of things here.
    Regards, Dorothy

Blog Entries
    yes, I love my June Taylor ruler, is so awesome (also I used it to cut the fringe on a no sew quilt)

starch, starch, sure makes a difference!

Thanks for your tips.

Blog Entries
    Starching is the best tip I received and the first one that I pass on also :wink: :D:D:D I don't think there is such a thing as using toooooo much either LOL

Starching -- However, I use sizing. Can't believe the difference that makes.

The other tips I've gotten are so numerous...I KNOW I wouldn't have products to be so proud of if it weren't for this forum!

Another good tip I've been told is measure twice & cut once!!

The one tip I also value the most from this board is starch, starch, and starch again. It makes the world of difference.
    I have learned so much from all the wonderful quilters here.
    So glad I found my way here.

Blog Entries
    After reading a thread on here last night regarding marking tools, I went online and purchased the large June Tailor square and cut ruler. Also, yesterday for the first time I used starch on a block and WOW what a difference it made. Love this board!!

on the next quilt i will have to starch. unless you can starch once you have assembled part of the blocks. what is the census on that?

The best tip I have found was from this site regarding home sewing machine quilting. It was to turn your machine 90 degrees while quilting for more control. I took this tip to my quilting buddies and they loved it! I told them I get all my best ideas here!

Blog Entries
    Does all that starching gunk up your iron?

Blog Entries
    I starch my fabric heavily and let it dry before ironing... I don't have any trouble with residue or flaking this way :D:D:D

I have restarched a block if it needs it too :wink:

OK, I am sure this will embarrass me for along time, but here it goes. How exactly do you starch? I bought Mary Ellen's Best Press and haven't been able to use it because I feel it just gets the fabric wet and sticky. Do I let it dry before I cut? How much do you add? And do you spray the full yard or whatever of the fabric before you cut?

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but my seams sure could use some help :D

Candi, don't feel bad. I don't 'get' all this starching either. So, ditto your questions and repeat the one about gunking up the iron. I hand wash all my fabric before using, then iron it to get wrinkles out. Is this when it should be starched? Because I wash fabric first, I don't rewash after putting the top together. Would I need to do that to get the starch out? I guess I need a full tutorial on this subject.

I starch before I cut, after I sew, and I read to starch before quilting two or three times as it makes the fabric slide. Basically whenever I generally pressed, I now starch and press. I don't have a problem with crusty fabric. I am working on two quilts, one that I haven't prewashed the fabric and I still starch that one.

There is a starch you can make that contains vodaka that is suppose to work really well, I wish I could find it.

I was a bit embarrassed by my backs, but they look good now that I have started starching. It is a big difference, I was surprised.

I want to try turning the head 90'. Do you only do it when quilting or for general sewing?

I do a light starch before I cut the fabric when I am doing the first ironing, just to help get wrinkles out. I will spray a light mist of starch on the fabric, let it stand for about 15 seconds, then iron. Sometimes my iron will stick just a bit, but I just move it around and it is fine. You have to keep the iron on the fabric until the starch dries completely, that is the only way it will stiffen. If you have a particularly wet spot, just move the iron around over it a lot so you don't burn your fabric by keeping the iron in one spot too long.

Then I will cut all my pieces and start sewing them. I will sometimes do a light spray on the seams before I iron them open. Sometimes I don't because the starch from the pre-cutting is sometimes enough. Once the block is all put together I give it a final light mist of starch, iron it flat and then square it up.

If you are working on a project now, you can use starch at any stage, but at the very least you can starch your final blocks to get them nice and flat and be able to square them up nice.

Cheers!
    Rachel

If you don't plan on washing the finished project sizing is better than starch. Starch will attrack critters if you are storing a quilt.

Am going to start starching on my next project. It sure sounds like it will make a difference! Love all the hints! :-)

How do you starch somebody asked? Here's my technique...Spritz lightly, wait a few seconds, press, repeat. I might do this 4-5 times to get a piece stiff.

No I just spray a section. about a foot by two feet.

Have to own up that I've never starched but am definitely going to try it on my next project. Thanks for all the tips. And about the iron gunking up - mine's so gunked up already it won't make any difference! :oops:

I've never heard of starching for quilting, but sure will give it a try, I can use any improvment. Do they still make the liquid starch? that was my first thought when I read this, obviously I don't iron (starch) much, even though I have used it, had forgotten about the canned starch.

Never tried here rulers I guess I better

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    I starch before I cut, after I sew, and I read to starch before quilting two or three times as it makes the fabric slide. Basically whenever I generally pressed, I now starch and press. I don't have a problem with crusty fabric. I am working on two quilts, one that I haven't prewashed the fabric and I still starch that one.

There is a starch you can make that contains vodaka that is suppose to work really well, I wish I could find it.

I was a bit embarrassed by my backs, but they look good now that I have started starching. It is a big difference, I was surprised.

I want to try turning the head 90'. Do you only do it when quilting or for general sewing?
    Is the starch to drink or use? if it has vodka in it? hehe that would make for some crazy driving?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast