Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My best tips >

My best tips

My best tips

Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 AM

No I just spray a section. about a foot by two feet.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 AM

Have to own up that I've never starched but am definitely going to try it on my next project. Thanks for all the tips. And about the iron gunking up - mine's so gunked up already it won't make any difference! :oops:
Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 AM

I've never heard of starching for quilting, but sure will give it a try, I can use any improvment. Do they still make the liquid starch? that was my first thought when I read this, obviously I don't iron (starch) much, even though I have used it, had forgotten about the canned starch.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 AM

Never tried here rulers I guess I better
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I starch before I cut, after I sew, and I read to starch before quilting two or three times as it makes the fabric slide. Basically whenever I generally pressed, I now starch and press. I don't have a problem with crusty fabric. I am working on two quilts, one that I haven't prewashed the fabric and I still starch that one.

There is a starch you can make that contains vodaka that is suppose to work really well, I wish I could find it.

I was a bit embarrassed by my backs, but they look good now that I have started starching. It is a big difference, I was surprised.

I want to try turning the head 90'. Do you only do it when quilting or for general sewing?
Is the starch to drink or use? if it has vodka in it? hehe that would make for some crazy driving?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 AM

thanks for the tips, I mix my own starch and that helps not to build up on the iron, it works better then the can spray starch.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Only if it has orange juice.

Seriously, it is vodka and a couple of other ingredients, it is suppose to work wonders, and it doesn't attract silverfish. I read about it on another quilt site, but never paid attention and now I can't find the site.

If anyone knows how to make it I would love to know. It is based on Mary Ellen's Best Press which I can't afford to buy, or find locally.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM

This recipe comes from Bonnie on the Stashbuster Yahoo quilting group. She calls it Sisters Brew in honor of the friend who developed it with her. Compare it to commercial solutions that cost much, much more!

Sisters Brew Pressing Solution

•2 cups distilled water
•2 ounces cheap vodka
•6-12 drops of essential oil (choose a scent you like, or eliminate if you want an unscented solution)
•1/3 cup liquid starch.
Shake well before using.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Only if it has orange juice.

Seriously, it is vodka and a couple of other ingredients, it is suppose to work wonders, and it doesn't attract silverfish. I read about it on another quilt site, but never paid attention and now I can't find the site.

If anyone knows how to make it I would love to know. It is based on Mary Ellen's Best Press which I can't afford to buy, or find locally.
From what I could find on the web, the vodka mixture is for getting out wrinkles, not for stiffening the fabric. Here is a site I found:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/h...ng-water.shtml

Cheers!
Rachel

ETA Looks like someone found one with the starch!! :)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM

I have to chime in here, I have been teaching machine embroidery and quilting for several years now and this is what I always tell my students. Cheap starch is your best friend, yes it will flake and yes it can get on your iron and on your machine feet. The best solutions to this is:
1. Use several light layers of starch, never heavy spray.
2. If you have an expensive iron, go buy a cheap iron for starching. There isn't a law that says we can only own 1 iron.
3. If you are starching for a dense machine embroidery design, get it as stiff as possible, you want it so that it looks like it would break if bent. Think cardboard.
4. If you are starching for quilting, think paper. Smooth and flat.
5. Save your Mary Ellen starch for finished projects, it is more of a sizing and will never make your fabric stiff.
6. Be cafeful with scented starches, some can be very strong and cause allergic reactions. I've had students complain about it causing headaches.
7. You can re-starch anytime you need to as long as you haven't marked your fabric with any type of pen including wash-away or air-away. Ironing them can make them permanant.
8. Clean your machine feet with alcohol pads.

Hope this helps answer some of the starch questions. BTW I always starch my seams, not only does this make them marry better, they stay flat and you won't get as many turned seams when you cross sew from the other direction.

Hugs, Gail