Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My best tips >

My best tips

My best tips

Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
If you don't plan on washing the finished project sizing is better than starch. Starch will attrack critters if you are storing a quilt.
Ahhh Thank-you I hadn't realized that. See what a great group this is, I never fail to learn something new everytime I come here...:}
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks all for the info on starching. I shall try it.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
Candi, don't feel bad. I don't 'get' all this starching either. So, ditto your questions and repeat the one about gunking up the iron. I hand wash all my fabric before using, then iron it to get wrinkles out. Is this when it should be starched? Because I wash fabric first, I don't rewash after putting the top together. Would I need to do that to get the starch out? I guess I need a full tutorial on this subject.
This is what I would like to know also. Do you starch the fabric prior to cutting your pieces or starch the pieces before sewing them together, or both?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Oops, I guess I should have read the whole thread before asking this question.....sorry!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by redrummy
This recipe comes from Bonnie on the Stashbuster Yahoo quilting group. She calls it Sisters Brew in honor of the friend who developed it with her. Compare it to commercial solutions that cost much, much more!

Sisters Brew Pressing Solution

•2 cups distilled water
•2 ounces cheap vodka
•6-12 drops of essential oil (choose a scent you like, or eliminate if you want an unscented solution)
•1/3 cup liquid starch.
Shake well before using.
I'll have to try this. 2 ounces vodka for the solution and 1 ounce for me!!! lol :)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 AM

I use Niagara brand spray starch in a spray can. Works great and isn't too expensive. I think I might have to try some of the recipes some of you have shared and see how that works. Yes, the iron does get gunky after using starch alot but it cleans easily with commercial iron cleaning products. I think I bought this cleaner kit at Joann's on a 40% off coupon and it works great. It's called ROWENTA SOLE PLATE CLEANING KIT.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Please explain how the June Tailor Shape Cut works, which size you recommend, and where I can get it at the best price. :P
Old 06-10-2010, 05:37 AM

I know this will sound strange for a tip but believe me, it works. Not being the best quilter in the world, I find myself doing a lot of unsewing. As a result, I use a LOT of unsewing tools and they do get dull rather fast. Falling asleep the other nite, I got a brilliant idea. My DH was a salesman for professional knives for meat cutters. They have to constantly sharpen their knives. So do restaurants. They use a tool called a hone. I'm sure many of you have heard of it or maybe used it. My DH taught me how to hone my knives so I have the sharpest in town.

When I got up the next AM I took my dull unsewers and sharpened them on the honing tool. IT WORKED !!!!!. This will sure save money.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 AM

I'll try using a home, I wish it would work on cutting blades.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I'll try using a home, I wish it would work on cutting blades.
So do I.