Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Dad gets a Quilt of Valor >

My Dad gets a Quilt of Valor

My Dad gets a Quilt of Valor

Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Please thank your Dad for his service! My Dad was a bronze star recipient of WWII and it was only after he passed in 1973, I found out that he was decorated. He never, ever talked about what he saw in Japan.

My guild does QOV, but I have not had the pleasure to make one as yet. Shame on me! I am the mother of a Marine Corps vet (1997-2005), so I should do better. QOV are my goal for the new year. I will make at least 2 tops (a few ladies in the guild finish and quilt them) for QOV.

Again, please thank your Dad for me! I am so glad he received a QOV, what a nice honor.

Anita
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM

Wow, great stories here. I made a QOV for my son-in-law when he retired after 21 years of service in the Air Force. It's a great program, and I wish I could do more.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM

I need your advice! A couple of years ago, the Minneapolis VA announced that their stock of Quilts of Valor greatly exceeded the demand and their ability to store them. They publicly asked us quilters to stop. Needless to say, this was difficult to hear.

Having just googled QOV + Minneapolis VA, I discovered another group, http://www.eagleshealingnest.com. I've sent them an email, asking if they're still interested in quilt donations. In the meantime, can you help me identify other organizations that would actually welcome quilt gifts? I don't mind mailing them to far-flung places, if they'll be appreciated.

PS: My father enlisted in the Navy when he graduated from high school in 1944. Recognizing his talent, they sent him to the United States Military Academy at West Point to attend college. Needless to say, WW2 was over by the time he graduated. While he'd intended to spend his career in the army, his father died shortly before Dad had finished his 5-year commitment and he acceded to his mother's request that he return home to run the family business. While he's now in late-stage Parkinson's disease at age 87, almost everyone still calls him "General" (tho he never got close to that rank!). The military persona was permanently attached! FWIW, one of his grandsons is an Annapolis grad and serving as an officer in the submarine service.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 PM

It makes me so happy to see these men recognized for their service. Up until the present time men were seldom given anything. Unpopular conflicts got our men and women spit on and called names for their service and many suffered horrible trauma. My own husband is a Viet Nam vet. with 33 years of service, yet for years he never mentioned it at all. When he recieved a QOV it was one of the greatest things he has ever had happen to him. He was so touched by that quilt that he has been unable to even properly thank those who sent it to him. All of our service personal need to have their country behind them. Giving a quilt helps them know we are behind them and aware of what they did and that we honor them for their service. I have made several quilts for the organization. It's a joy to make and give them. Every single service man and woman should recieve one.. Without our military the world would be a much worse place and our own freedom would quickly be taken from us. Honor every veteran you see, young or old... they all served for the same things we hold dear. God bless your Dad!! and tell him thank you from our family.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 AM

I used to make QOV quilts, but now with school being so busy I don't have time for it. But I loved doing it and the minute I have more time I'm definitely going to start up again.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 AM

What a wonderful moment of giving. Please give your dad a hug from me to say thanks for his service.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 AM

Please tell your dad THANK YOU for his service.

I've made one, which is still at the volunteer longarmer's - hopefully getting quilted (he's had it since 11/9 and I'm so anxious to get it back to bind & label & create the presentation case)! I'm currently working on several other QOV, getting them finished up for a LA. I wrote an article & asked for "just one block" on my blog and have received MANY from quilters across the country to create a "community" QOV! It's so exciting, and heartwarming, knowing I can give back something, even if years later, and it's only a little tiny bit compared what our Veterans have given me/us!

http://lanettascreations.blogspot.co...one-block.html
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Best thing I have done in quilting is a quilt for a veteran. He said it was the best present he had ever had. Displays it where he can see it all the time and is planning for it to cover him in the coffin. Wow! How much we owe these veterans!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 AM

I just completed a red white and blue QOV and am ready to give to the quilter. Just ended up the right size and just met the quilter who herself is a QOV recipient.