Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My dear Bernina - INJURED!!

Sorry to hear about your dear Bernina, I hope I never see my Berninas injured. Sure hope she can be fixed.
    They are like the Energizer bunny, they just keep going and going.
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Also I heard about a lady had her 830 wrapped in a seat belt and got into a accident and it went forward and cracked the screen and broke the nobs off! I was be very upset with that! Repair guy told me that the screen always get faced to the back so that don't happen! So learn something every day!

Medford, Wisconsin, up north in God's country
    OMG, what a story I feel for you. I have a Bernina 450 that is attached to me all the time if you know what I mean. It is my right hand person & no one touches it unless necessary. I had an extra one that I took to Church as we do "Project Linus" & 'World Relief' quilts & in the mean time my grandkids needed to use mine which was ok BUT, now, someone had donated us a machine for Church & my extra is back home for the GK's to use now. They can take away my TV but not the machines. I also have 2 Bernina sergers & love them, so FAST & QUICK for other projects.

I went to Wal-Mart & bought an inexpensive traveling piece of luggage (pink, of course) that you pull behind & put my Bernina in this (- the top cover that comes with it) so much easy to handle when you go some where & not having to lift it. My friends love this idea so they all bought luggage to. :) :thumbup:

I completely understand your situation. My sister and I were traveling in Lancaster, PA and there were no elevators in our lodging so another guest offered to assist my sister and you know the rest of the story . . . Fortunately the machine did work during our vacation. The repairs were around $150.00. I keep my 1230 in my laundry room so I don't have far to carry it to the car for classes. My newer 440 lives in my upstairs sewing room.

I am a very loyal Atlanta Sewing Center customer also. I have always had excellent service and advise. I love my Berninas!!

Good Luck from a fellow GA quilter.

Quote Originally Posted by running1
    As Sandra-P said... our machines ARE a part of us!! so sorry this happened... hope it can be fixed... the thought of TWO Berninas is just dreamy! I still have my original 830 Record... college grad gift from parents and love it... despite the weight...

Would love to have a light-weight machine for on-the-go...
    I got the Janome Gem for that reason and then inherited my Featherweight. I take them both to classes etc. cause some girls are in the same boat.....too heavy machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Be sure to check with your insurance about the damage and replacement costs. Even with your deductible it may help. Sometimes we forget that things like this are often covered.

Jan in VA
    You are so right Jan. I would have forgotton about that. Thanks for the idea.

Sorry about your injured baby, Karen.

I have two Berninas. A 1260 for all my daily sewing and a 930 (35+ yrs mechanical/electronic) for my "van machine" to take to classes. It is heavy but lives in it's rolling carrying case and can stay in the van even in hot or cold weather. Still sews like it is brand new and I don't have to worry about the computer.
    Sorry about the injury. I can't imagine not having my machine.

Hi Jan in VA! I took your advice and e-mailed my insurance guy and using the prices given to me by Jack (I called him to check on comparable prices to the machine that is sick). My insurance guy (also a friend of mine) is checking on it. I will keep everyone updated. Karen

Latest news from Jack-my repair guy and owner of ASC. While I was checking prices for insurance purposes, he was updating what they have found so far: Damage to front of the machine and a circuit board. This may be the only damage - which would mean my Artista CAN be repaired. I am still wondering what the cost would be! Circuit board especially! I should get an estimate on repairs on Friday. I will keep you guys updated!

Medford, Wisconsin, up north in God's country
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Collins
    Latest news from Jack-my repair guy and owner of ASC. While I was checking prices for insurance purposes, he was updating what they have found so far: Damage to front of the machine and a circuit board. This may be the only damage - which would mean my Artista CAN be repaired. I am still wondering what the cost would be! Circuit board especially! I should get an estimate on repairs on Friday. I will keep you guys updated!
    A friend of mine had her circuit brd damaged & it would of cost her a mint & then they said there was no more warranty on it so they advised her to get a new machine. You should also ask about the warranty if something should happen to see if they would replace that.

[quote=Karen Collin) my Artista CAN be repaired. I am still wondering what the cost would be! Circuit board especially! I should get an estimate on repairs on Friday. I will keep you guys updated![/quote]

Sounds like good news, keeping our collective fingers crossed. Looking forward to your final answer.

Just read Grama Chris...the cost of repairs might be more than a new machine...you just never know how well a repaired machine of any kind is going to hold up. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I broke down and bought a Singer Featherweight years ago to take travelling, and to classes, as my Janome 10000 is a homebody, doesn't like to be carried (I don't carry her, too heavy). I would be heartbroken if she got injured. I bought a New Viking Sapphire last year, for the bigger harp, and hate it. My Janone and I have been through miles of sewing, we know each other well.

So sorry about your machine! We don't have the excess cash laying around to be able to fix something like that! Glad you are able to get the new one, and even possibly fix the old one. Good luck with that. I'm sure glad nothing like that has ever happened to me. (Of course, we live all on one floor, so I don't really have to worry about mine falling down stairs!)

Regarding the warranty, I am almost positive that my machine is too old for paying for any repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Collins
    Has anyone else had any kind of accident with their sewing machine?
    Many years ago before I purchased my Aurora 440qe my husband bought me a Brother. Even though I knew how to sew I never had my own machine. It was from Costco. Not fancy but it had some decorative stitches and I made drapes on it and my first quilts.

I didn't have a sewing table so I would sew on the kitchen table. I was trying to finish up a project so rather than than take everything down we had dinner in front of the television and I went to finish up after. I stepped away from the table for something which is when the carnage occured:

My husband opened the backdoor (right by the table) to let one of our German Shepherds out. The second one, hating to be left inside ran between my chair and the wall and caught the cord on one of her legs. The machine literally flew out the open door onto the concrete steps. It was a terrible site and even worse sound! I picked it up and tried to bend back the the threader and a couple other parts. I took it in for repair but of course it cost more to repair than a new machine. I was sad but grateful too. If that machine had hit one of the dogs in the head it would have killed them.

When I bought my Bernina I made sure that I had money to purchase a table as well. She stays in the table. I haven't taken any classes so I don't have a travel machine yet but I will not take ANY chances with her. Ever.

Took my FW on Tues sewing for Victoria's Quilts. Told husband to leave in car because Wed I have the charity dresses group. NO! He goes to bring it down stairs with the box sitting on luggage carrier. Drops/ tips over goes down few steps with him trying to grab it. FW survived --used it all day Wed with no problems. when we opened the case the only thing was the thread holder had moved.

This was machine from mom which I learnt to sew on at 8 yrs old. thanks be to GOD for end result.
    Hope your Bernina is cheaply fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaKay
    Years ago, I took my machine on an airplane trip down to florida. I didn't have a cover or hard shell case for it. I used pillow case to cover it up. BIG mistake. It did fit nicely under the seat in front of me, though. Anywho, getting it out after the flight, I broke off the thread spindle. Poor baby. Never been the same since. Tried super glue many times but no such luck with that. Now I just use a coffee mug for a thread stand.
    I had to have my thread stand replaced. I think it was less than $10, might be worth checking into. :D

I have an old mechanical Bernina 830. When I got into quilting, and as I have aged, I realized it was too heavy for me to carry to class, so I got a lightweight Brother from Wal*Mart for classes.

Glad you got a new machine...

How terrible. I feel for you. Hope you can get a new one.

You might want to check with your homeowners insurance to see if they might cover your "accident". Maybe not, but worth a try, the least they can say is no coverage for that event.

Is it the Bernina Artista 200? That is what I have and I would be sick if that happened to me. The circuit board is around $500.00 I have been told. So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I have an older Bernina and years ago I had my teenage daughter take it down stairs for me. The latch on the case came undone and the machine fell out. The side where the light is cracked but other than that no problems. I still use that machine and it runs great!!!!!

Dee
    So sorry about your baby. Congrats! on your new one. Happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    No thank goodness, but I know I would definitely have cried and I don't normally ever cry.
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Sure hope your machine can be repaired.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast