Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My DH Saved Me Again >

My DH Saved Me Again

My DH Saved Me Again

Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM

I have posted here a couple of times that I was trying to complete six quilts for my Grand and Greatgrand children by June when we go visit them in Michigan. Well, I haven't learned the skills yet that go beyond piecing the tops so that was an impossible thing for me to attempt. I was beginning to talk to my DH about how I would have to make my quilting into a job just to even get close to finishing. Well, my DH told me he would be unhappy if I continued to stress myself over the task I had set for myself. He reminded me that I had started quilting for my own enjoyment of learning something new and creative. All he had to say was that he would be unhappy if I stressed myself. It made me realize that what I was attempting and probably starting to complain about affected him as well as myself. Since our main goal in our marriage has always been to make each other happy, I knew I wasn't doing that by stressing myself out over something that didn't need to be done at all. So I promised him I would stop what I was doing and would return to enjoying my quilting. So I am now much more relaxed and I am going back to the part of my quilting I love the best which is applique of small projects which I plan to make into wall hangings for my quilting room. I will complete the six quilts, but I will most likely donate them to the local Ronald McDonald House. That was my initial plan. My grandchildren don't know about them anyway. This is one more reason to feel blessed that I have the Love of my DH.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 AM

What a wonderful Hubby. Sometimes we do get carried away with what we try to achieve and the only one who gets stress and upset is yourself. I am very much like you, start off small then get these grand plans, it is great you have someone to help in these situations and put you back on track. Take care and don't forget to post your wall hangings when they are done.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 AM

My DH is like that to. He hates to see me get stressed over quilting. He keeps saying " It's your passion, not your job" He really gets upset when I put a timeline on something and get bogged down, that's when he usually takes me out for a nice relaxing dinner and glass of wine. He really is a darling. And he is absolutely right, quilters are very hard on themselves, always striving for perfection and pushing ourselves too hard. Your post reminded me, that it's time to slow down and remember why we quilt... "for enjoyment"
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM

DH's are usually right (grrrrr) but stressing yourself over a hobby is just not what a hobby is about.

Good decision. Do what you enjoy and your grandchildren will love you even more you are happy. They will never miss what they have not had.

So, go girl and enjoy a great hobby and have fun with those grandkids and build loads of happy memories for them.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 AM

Stressing yourself out isn't good for you or anyone else around you! Ask me how I know!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Yes, but I hate to think the family doesn't ever get a quilt from granny. Even an unfinished quilt top found under the bed (after our demise) can be the treasure for them to find.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 AM

Your husband is right, quilting or our various hobbies are to relax and enjoy, not stress. So glad you're back to enjoying your hobby.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM

Finish the tops and take your time to enjoy the process. Put them away labeled with the intended's name. When your skills are better, you may enjoy finishing them. It may take years. Meanwhile, work on what you love to do.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 AM

Aren't hubbies wonderful? Can't imagine life without mine.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 AM
DJ

I totally agree that you shouldn't let your hobby become stressful. I hate to see you give up on the quilts, though. I'd do one at a time for the grandchildren, beginning with the oldest (at a happy pace). As you give each child his/her quilt, the next in line will really start looking forward to receiving his/hers.