Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Efforts to "Block" Uneven Strips of Fabric >

My Efforts to "Block" Uneven Strips of Fabric

My Efforts to "Block" Uneven Strips of Fabric

Old 10-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Default My Efforts to "Block" Uneven Strips of Fabric

In a need to be able to use the whole length of 2 1/2" strips that I purchased for my quilt, I realized that 16 - 20 inches of the strips would be unusable because of the way the strips were cut. Because I have done some crocheting and knitting and during those processes have had to "block" my finished project, I decided to see if I could "block" those lengths of strips so that I could use them for my quilt. For the example below, I drew a straight line across my ironing board cover. After that I used my June Tayler pressing board, which has lines on it and is more firm than my ironing board. I pinned my pieces to the line with the concave edge pinned to the board. Then I saturated the pieces and pressed them with a hot iron. Below is a photo of just how they look, before and after blocking. Using this method worked for me and I thought that I would share my findings with other Board members.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5396.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM

You did a good job. I'll have to remember this method of getting them straight. Sometimes I just fudge them in and fight the curve. It certainly doesn't work as well as what you have done, but they were usable.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Blocking works for every unit of the quilt, from a strip, as you posted here, to an unfinished unit that didn't quite measure up or completed block that was just shy of being the full size, to the entire finished quilt. With completed quilts I only block if I intend to show it because it hangs so much better.

Once I participated in a block swap and chose a PP pattern. Well the pattern must have been off just the tiniest bit as my 12 1/2" Unfinished blocks were consistently measuring 12 3/8. Because they were for a block swap I needed them to measure the full 12 1/2 so I blocked them and it worked great.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Blocking works for every unit of the quilt, from a strip, as you posted here, to an unfinished unit that didn't quite measure up or completed block that was just shy of being the full size, to the entire finished quilt. With completed quilts I only block if I intend to show it because it hangs so much better.

Once I participated in a block swap and chose a PP pattern. Well the pattern must have been off just the tiniest bit as my 12 1/2" Unfinished blocks were consistently measuring 12 3/8. Because they were for a block swap I needed them to measure the full 12 1/2 so I blocked them and it worked great.
Great feline fanatic! I never even thought of blocking a whole block or a whole quilt but it makes so much sense. Thank you for your insight. I apparently really need it!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Great job! Thank you for the tips!

Look at 6:45 and how strips are ironed to keep them straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7vb8xb8eGk

I need one of those metal rulers.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I just cut a bunch of strips today for a quilt I am making. If not straight only have myself to blame.

They are straight because I made sure as I finished cutting each one.

Good tip.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM

That's a great job! I've blocked and individual block but never thought of trying it on strips that were curved.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 PM

I often 'block' blocks and especially panels. Cotton is an amazing product. It can be stretched and shrunken to fit certain venues. But I wonder why your strips were curved. Can you give the reason?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 AM

thanks for the tip, i will definitely try that.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:49 AM

That's amazing how that works