Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My First Baby Quilt, How would you finish it? >

My First Baby Quilt, How would you finish it?

My First Baby Quilt, How would you finish it?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 AM

Gorgeous! I would add a white border, then a photo-strip border using all of the colors in your circles, then another white border and then cut the black and white on the diagonal for the binding. Since your quilt is so modern, I would do the back in a solid color with a 3-4" stripe of a colorful fabric offset to one side. Take a look at Google Images with the search string being "modern baby quilts" and you'll see some lovely examples. Love your quilt!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

No ideas. Just want you to know I love your baby quilt. Sounds like you made up the pattern yourself. Wish I could do that. Congrats on the great quilt!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Gorgeous! I would add a white border, then a photo-strip border using all of the colors in your circles, then another white border and then cut the black and white on the diagonal for the binding. Since your quilt is so modern, I would do the back in a solid color with a 3-4" stripe of a colorful fabric offset to one side. Take a look at Google Images with the search string being "modern baby quilts" and you'll see some lovely examples. Love your quilt!

Great idea! I am in love with all the "modern baby quilt" ideas. This is the look I want to go for...thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:06 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

what a fun, colorful quilt. This is sooo going on my shortlist of things to do in January! thanks for sharing your pics. I do agree that I don't see the need for a border
Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I don't think it needs borders. The black/white strip binding right against what you have now would look fabulous! I can't see it with anything else for borders - any colour pulled from the quilt feels like it would overwhelm what you have - so if you really want borders, I'd just go with the white background.

For backing, I'd pick a cute kids print that picks up some of the bright colours in the front. But really, almost anything would work. I guess since the binding is black & white, it would be nice if there was some of that in the backing. The fabric in purple at the bottom of the second photo, for example, would be cute on the back. But you don't have to match any of the circles.
I agree on that. I think a child should like the back of the quilt as well as the front. On one I made I put on a map of the US. The little boy loves it and is learning his states and is 3 years old. The other one I am working on now is 187 4" squares with something identifiable for a little girl. She is one. Happy Quilting. Edie
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM

I would only add a border if you need to make the crib quilt larger, can't tell from the picture the size.
A good size is 35 X 45 for a crib quilt. I would use a nice bright childrens print in yellow, green or purple for either sex.
If you add a border, make the binding the same as the border. If you don't add a border, use a bright solid fabric in green, purple, red for either sex. For quilting on a LA, I would use a meandering pattern so it doesn't take away from the design of the quilt.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM

Really nothing to add or suggest.
Baby and Mother will enjoy your work!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Nice job, the circles must have been fun. I too would go with material with circles, and you could even bring it up to top for narrow binding.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 AM

I love the circles in such bright, happy colors. I would do a simple outline stitch around the circles, no border and a bright print for the back. Great job on your first quilt!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 AM

I'd like to see a maybe navy blue or really any solid color. love it! as for the back a childs print would work great. Batting well I'd go with what you feel comfortable with. Great job