Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first look at quilting >

My first look at quilting

My first look at quilting

Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Your story was wonderful. And, the challenge you completed was very nice. Aren't challenges great - they encourage us to reach beyond our comfort level and open many new avenues to the future! Enjoy your quilting group - they sound like a great group of ladies!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM

That is very pretty! The stipes make the whole thing pop! Lovely work! :thumbup:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Oh that block is beautiful!
I share your pain when it comes to picking matching materials! Patterns? I can spend hours in the quilt shop pondering the possibilities. It all somehow comes together for me in the end, but not without lots of trials and tribulations. It never gets so bad that I give up and I hope it never does. The lady at the quilt shop tells me it takes practice, practice, practice to get good at this.
The person who suggested you send this story in to a quilting magazine hit the nail on the head. Great story!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by singalong
I do not take part in any round robins, challenges etc. I watch what the others do, and know that I do not have the brain skills or the sewing skills to do anything even near what they do. I do not want to make a fool of myself.
Quilting is about the enjoyment, not the feelings of inadequacy. Please don't feel that you should be at the level of those who have been quilting for ages. It takes ages to perfect all those skills. Those you make quilts for will be thrilled at the gift of yourself that you have given them.
I so agree with Quilt Mom. Plunge right it and try something you think you can't do. You'll be glad you did, you'll learn from it and no one will notice "mistakes" if you don't point them out. Go for it!

To the original poster: So enjoyed your story. And your quilt turned out lovely.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:39 AM

Recently, I saved your post without having time to read it. Now I can see why there are five pages of praise on your first assignment. You did a wonderful job--and look at those mitered corners within the stripes. Like you, I too hate working with stripes.

Now quoting your words on page one:
"You have to understand…everyone showing me how to do this is right handed and as I am left handed I was having a heck of a time getting things to go in the right direction. It kept coming out backwards. I finally figured out how to do the same thing left handed and have it come out right."

May I offer a suggestion that has helped me show a long-time friend how to quilt. (We both were stenographers in the late 1960s--just to date ourselves!) Anyway, she retired, had never sewn and wanted to take up quilting as I had done.

The connection to you, AnngelAnne, is that she too is left-handed. We solved our problem by my standing on one side of the table and doing the design or cutting, while she stood on the opposite side thus making the observation from her point of view, left-handed.

Good luck and try this opposite side method when right-handers show you quilting tips.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Wow this is really very good ! I love it !
Old 12-24-2010, 08:07 AM
tmw

it's pretty to me, you sure worried for nothing, !! you ever heard the term 'don't sweat the small stuff.'? i sure do this and it sound like maybe you did on this !!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Recently, I saved your post without having time to read it. Now I can see why there are five pages of praise on your first assignment. You did a wonderful job--and look at those mitered corners within the stripes. Like you, I too hate working with stripes.

Now quoting your words on page one:
"You have to understand…everyone showing me how to do this is right handed and as I am left handed I was having a heck of a time getting things to go in the right direction. It kept coming out backwards. I finally figured out how to do the same thing left handed and have it come out right."

May I offer a suggestion that has helped me show a long-time friend how to quilt. (We both were stenographers in the late 1960s--just to date ourselves!) Anyway, she retired, had never sewn and wanted to take up quilting as I had done.

The connection to you, AnngelAnne, is that she too is left-handed. We solved our problem by my standing on one side of the table and doing the design or cutting, while she stood on the opposite side thus making the observation from her point of view, left-handed.

Good luck and try this opposite side method when right-handers show you quilting tips.
thanks, will have to try it and see how that works out for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 PM

You did a really facinating job for the material not talking to you.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Kas

That looks great to me! Why are you so afraid of stripes?