Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first quilt starts friday!! >

My first quilt starts friday!!

My first quilt starts friday!!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM

If you are going to buy an iron go on the site here and read what is suggested. I find a good iron is your best friend! I just bought a Sunbeam Steam Master as I had read it was a good one and affordable. Good luck and please be sure and post as you go! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 AM

Yes then I bougt one of the handles to put on my ruler which helps me a great deal.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeannie
If you are going to buy an iron go on the site here and read what is suggested. I find a good iron is your best friend! I just bought a Sunbeam Steam Master as I had read it was a good one and affordable. Good luck and please be sure and post as you go! Happy Thanksgiving!
This struck me funny as I buy my irons at Goodwill or our Hospice shop. We quilters must be the only ones that use iron as I have purchased several brand new, some even in the box, for $2 or $4. My friend who bought one of JoAnn's expensive irons begged me to give her one of them'as it ironed so much better than hers. I have several I haven't even used. I have an addiction to irons, sewing machines, fabric and purse patterns.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:48 AM

I have never bought an iron at goodwill but will look on my next visit. I am addicted to old machines.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Sammy, stick with the same ruler because not all rulers have the same exact measurments on them. One may be one inch and another brand may be a little over an inch. Check them against a rule to make sure that they all measure the same.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Our Hospice has a thrift store which helps it be self supporting and that is
where I get most of them. Have never had luck at Goodwill with machines, have hauled 4 different ones home and then hauled them back because they were actually missing parts (now I either take them apart there or ignore them to begin with.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 AM

I absolutely love my magnetic pincushion. It is a disk about three-inches across and your pins will stick to it. They're great because you can't spill your pins all over, and if you drop any pins, you can just take the pincushion and sweep it over the floor. Even if you can't see the pins, the pincushion will find them and pick them up.

I started quilting about a year and a half ago. I'm working on my 10th bed-sized quilt. If I'm not sewing, I'm thinking about sewing. When I go to sleep, I'm thinking about fabric. It's a wonderful hobby, and highly addictive.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Make sure you have a 1/4 inch foot. Use one of the many slip resistant bottoms for your ruler. Good luck and have fun and be proud of your first quilt.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm a new quilter also. Recently finished my first quilt.

Some things that I learned (some the hard way)

Pin EVERYTHING until you feel that you don't need to.

Pay close attention to the direction that you press seams.

When pressing, hold the piece of fabric that you are pressing TO up in your hand and press away from you ( right side up ) This helps eliminate what I call "overflap". ( someone else may be able to explain this better than me ).
Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 AM

If your machine doesn't have one I'd get 1/4 " foot. It makes a world of difference when you are sewing the seams. My first quilt was for my son also, good luck. Also, if the machine hasn't been cleaned and oiled lately do that before you start or if it's a newer one you may have to send it to be cleaned. Load several bobbins before you start and use the same thread in booth the top and bobbins thread. If things start to go down hill sometimes you need to walk away and go back to it later. I find when I start making mistakes I need a break. Have fun and remember don't expect perfection first time out.