Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My flannel stash from Joann's >

My flannel stash from Joann's

My flannel stash from Joann's

Old 11-26-2011, 03:54 AM

I luckily have a Joann near me. I was there at 5am and made lots of new friends while waiting in line. My flannel stash doesn't compare with yours, though. This stuff makes the best rag quilts!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Wow, that's a huge lots of flannel! Lucky you and glad you all had a great time
Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Great buy! I bought a lot of flannel last summer when it went on sale for 1.00 a yard at Hancocks clean sweep sale. I have been using it for backing on my quilts and I love they way they turn out, looks double sided and makes them softer and snugglier, especially the ones for children.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 AM

Great buy, you'll be busy and warm.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Great buy! That is our one stop on Black Friday that we actually wait in line for! I didn't get near what you did but I did go back up last night and grab some more. Figured I could make me some pajama bottoms cheaper than what I could buy them. One thing I have noticed in all my years of Black Friday shopping - Joann's is the best as far as friendliness of the customers. Everyone was helping each other out - laughing while we were standing in line - sharing coffee, etc.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
WOW. You probably know this but...when you prewash make sure that you don't put different colors together. I made the mistake of washing two smaller pieces together just to fill up the machine. I ended up going back and getting more flannel as I couldn't get the lint from the neon green off the blue. I will use a lint roller but it will take a lot of time. Learn something new every day. Have fun with all your fabric. I love to back my quilts with flannel. BrendaK
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the ol debate, to wash or not wash. At one point I was washing, then I read others who waits until after the quilt is completed, so I don't prewash. Now with all of this fabric, I don't know.
My first rag quilt I made, I ddn't prewash, but after reading info on the washing, I prewashed for my second quilt. Now on my 3rd quilt, I didn't prewash, as I was back to reading about those who do not. Oh boy, I'm so confused! lol

Last edited by SharonTX; 11-26-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

congrats! such a deal!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I've made about 8 rag quilts from Joannes flannel and I have to say I've not been really thrilled. This is just an FYI..not a criticism. But, it pills terribly. After all the work of prewashing(you'd think the fabric would pill and be done with it at that phase) and then making the quilt, the wash to get it to rag makes the quilts come out looking all messy and pilled. I've had to spend as much as an hour on each one with a lint brush or picking the pills off by hand. I also bought at a Black Friday and thought it was a great deal. But, I've learned the quality manufacturer fabric doesn't pill this way. So, just know that you'll be spending quite a bit of time doing clean-up on this fabric:< Which may be worth the saving to you....just letting you know in advance!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Wow , was there anything left of the shelves? I think you are set for a little while.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Wow , was there anything left of the shelves? I think you are set for a little while.
Believe it or not, I didn't even make a dent! lol Flannel was very well stocked.