Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My GD wants to learn to sew! >

My GD wants to learn to sew!

My GD wants to learn to sew!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:02 PM

I have a bigger Juki and love it. Overall I think Juki machines are better quality than a Brother and for the little extra cost the Juki will last her for many many years. I looked at the HZL-70 and it looks like a perfect lightweight starter machine. I bought the smallest Babylock Audrey machine about 6 years ago and really like it too. But if you can get the a Juki, I think it is the best!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:23 PM

My 6 year old GD sews on my old Elna with "turtle" speed control and a walking foot. She loves it, and has very good control after a lot of scrap practicing. She takes piano lessons, so she understands the purpose and need for practicing.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:43 AM

I started my 9 year old grand son on my Record Bernina 830. From there, just for fun, we went to my Singer 201 treadle machine. He loved it! He made a queen size quilt for his bed. His Mother was so proud of him.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 AM

You are going to have so much fun with her. My GD is also 9 and wants to learn to sew. I don't know what machine to suggest but I got a used machine at a garage sale. It is in the basement waaaay in the back but I believe it is a Golden Touch and Sew...maybe and I paid $30 or $35 for it. I got it with her in mind and because it has a set of block style embroidery letters. My only recommendation is that if you hit garage sales or estate sales you might want to check them out and you may have to ask if they even have one they want to get rid of as sometimes they do they just didn't get around to setting it out. I will be giving this to her this year as part of her Christmas present and I don't feel bad that it is used as I don't know that she will come to stick with sewing or this may just be a phase. (I know you all know I'm cheap! But before I'm cheap Grandma is 'smarter' than she is cheap.) If she finds she really likes to sew I would like to get her a better machine as this one doesn't have some goodies that I've come accustomed to.....but that's a few years down the road. Have fun!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:57 AM

I bought a Janome 124; the mini machine weighing 5 pounds. You wouldn't want any beginner trying to learn on that. You want a machine that is fun and easy to use.
I think the 124 is something you might want if you really don't sew, but would like to sew up a torn seam or two once in a while. Very small and inexpensive to keep around for dire necessities.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM

The Babylock BL9's are on special this time of year for $99, some stores carry the $99 year round. Full size, nice mechanical machine.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Neat that your granddaughter wants to learn to sew! For machine ideas, might you have a good solid vintage machine she could learn on? Not only learn to stitch, but clean and maintain the machine. Lots of learning!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM

I am in the same situation you are. I have a granddaughter who is interested in sewing. I strongly considered getting her a sewing machine for this Christmas, but she is just now turning seven years of age, so I feel she is a bit young and that I should wait and see if her interests continues. Since your granddaughter is nine, that seems like a good age to me to purchase her a machine. I wonder, though, how much interest does she have? How much experience does she have? It seems to me the answer to these two questions would help guide your selection. The Juki, if she is a complete beginner, and you are not certain of her interest level, seems like too much machine. The Brother CS6000i that someone mentioned is another great choice, but again, is a computerized sewing machine reallly the best choice for a beginner? The Janome Hello Kitty is a sweet machine, but, personally, my problem with this one is that it has an oscillating vertical bobbin. I just don't think vertical bobbins are the best choice; I much prefer the drop-in bobbins. We all know what a turn off bobbin-loading problems can present, so why make life more difficult? SO, I have narrowed my own choices down to three. My criteria was as follows: (1) limited stitch choices, (2) drop-down bobbin and(3) auto-threader -this one would be nice but not necessary. I believe a beginning sewer does not need too many choices. Good skills need to be developed, and many, many stitch choices are not necessary. As explained earlier, the drop-in bobbin is, to me, essential. I really like the needle-threader, but, honestly, sometimes it seems faster for me to just thread the machine myself rather than using this device. I am not certain a child needs this feature. Another feature I am not certain a child needs is the start-stop button. A child might have greater success being limited to foot-peddle use (which, I grant you, can still be used, even on the machines with start-stop button). SO, grandmother to grandmother, what would I buy? Were I to buy something right now, I would probably buy the Brother XM2701 -it has 27 stitches, drop-in bobbin, and auto-threader; my second choice, a tie, would be the Brother Jx2517 -which is ABSOLUTELY just for beginners or the Brother XM1010 (10 stitches). The downside of buying a machine that is so limited is, of course, that if the child LOVES sewing, he or she may need a machine with more features sooner rather than later. Of course, since I am a quilter, and I hope my granddaughter's interest expands to that, the Brother CS60001 will have to remain in contention, even though I still think it is too much machine too soon. As for the Janome Hello Kitty, I love it, and it calls to me, but that is mostly because it is so cute!

I hope you will let us know what you choose to do and why! Good luck!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM

I have taught several grandchildren to sew and we just use my machines. It makes them feel good that I want to share with them. I try to keep things simple and buying a machine for them at that age is not keeping it simple. If the interest grows, then I might consider a gift machine. One grandson went from making a quilt to 'customizing his clothing' which all comes from the local thrift store. Oh, well!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Walmart has a pretty decent Brother machine for under $200. My girlfriend purchased one for her travel machine and loves it.

No matter what you end up with, the memories will far surpass whatever machine it is.

I still have my first machine (which was given to me by my mother when I was 13).
Let's just say that was a "few" years ago!
I have been using my Walmart Brother (non-electronic) starter machine for nearly twenty years, and it has been cross country under a greyhound bus, twice. It still works as well as the day I bought it. Go for it. Great machine to start out on, unless she has a real creative, artistic bent, only then would I invest in a more expensive machine later. You could always start with the less expensive machine, and if she stays with sewing as a hobby, you could then get her a fancier machine as a graduation gift. Just my thoughts.