Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My googlefu is failing >

My googlefu is failing

My googlefu is failing

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 AM

$6 is about the best you are going to get. Even at that, I have noticed a huge difference in the quality of sateen fabric that I have always used this year, too. I have used muslin, kona and sateen. The last being my all time favorite. The sheen on it makes the dyes dance!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 AM

I would also suspect that the fabrics (grege goods) that you are trying to get are not sold by anyone in final retail consumer quantity. They are probably sold only in huge rolls for commercial customers and mainly overseas. Not found at my wholesalers.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Where?

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I have all that you need...you should have asked...dyeing is what I do....
Where do you purchase your dyes? Is Dharma the best place for "hobby" buyers like myself? I'm just getting into this -- I took a class and the process was much more involved that I thought but it was fun and the results were yummy.

I wouldn't want to waste all that time and effort with poor fabric although I might try over-dyeing some cheaper fabric as a 'speriment.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM

I have been dyeing fabric and clothing for my own use for several years now...I always go to Dharma and never have I regretted it. The only exception is when I buy a tone on tone white which I also dye but for a different effect. Dharma clothing blanks are such good quality that my [grown] kids even peruse the catalog for items they want me to dye for them. Everyone wants the bamboo socks for sure. I do buy my fabrics, cotton and silk, from them. Maybe I could find it cheaper else where but why would I want to chance not getting good dye results just because I want to save a few dollars. I find dyeing fabric to a fun summer project that never gets boring. On a side note if you have kids and want to do a quick non messy dye project try this:
silk scarves, [you can use cotton or rayon but silk works best. I get prehemmed scarves from Dharma]
sharpie pens
rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle.
Use the sharpies to color the fabric....in a pattern or in just blocks of color
Spray the scarf with the rubbing alcohol, use a small amount to keep a pattern intact, with just blurring effect or use a lot of spray to have the colors run and blend. Let dry, and set with an iron on silk setting. The color is permanent at this point so if you want you can over color, spray and dry again. I also use fabric paint to add some additional elements such as dots or stripes. Also just use permanent stamping ink to rubber stamp images on the colored scarf.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM

I have been dyeing fabric for 10 years and have a great supplier of prepared-for-dyeing cottons.
www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk
I don't know if they export to the States. You can send for fabric samples. It may be worth sending an email to enquire.
After trying several fabrics I have settled on the cotton percale, it takes the dye beautifully and is great to sew. It is 100 inches wide and so is economical. The thread count is quite high so I have to use best quality quilting needles in the machine or they blunt quite quickly. I hope you find what you need.
Angela
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Default ProChem for dye materials

Originally Posted by moonwolf23 View Post
I was reading Quilting Arts the other day. They have two articles on dyeing your own fabric. I'd like to try their ice parfait method. While I have found a decent price manufacturer of soda ash and dyes, I can't find greige good manufactures that sell. Ok I have found the people who make the fabric but they don't sell to me I believe.

How do I get greige good quilting fabric, at a decent price so I can dye my own. Dharma has good prices on the dyes, but I don't feel like paying 6 bucks a yard, when I'm sure I can get it cheaper.
You might try ProChem. They carry all you could need for dyeing, but I do not know about wholesale.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

So how much do you sell yours for by the yard?

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I have all that you need...you should have asked...dyeing is what I do....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM

I sold some of mine last year for £8.50 per metre, I haven't sold any this year and still have a stock of fabric for dyeing, but prices have gone up here considerably in the last 12 months.