Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My googlefu is failing >

My googlefu is failing

My googlefu is failing

Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Default My googlefu is failing

I was reading Quilting Arts the other day. They have two articles on dyeing your own fabric. I'd like to try their ice parfait method. While I have found a decent price manufacturer of soda ash and dyes, I can't find greige good manufactures that sell. Ok I have found the people who make the fabric but they don't sell to me I believe.

How do I get greige good quilting fabric, at a decent price so I can dye my own. Dharma has good prices on the dyes, but I don't feel like paying 6 bucks a yard, when I'm sure I can get it cheaper.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

That's why quality hand dyed fabric is so expensive. At a workshop to dye fabric some wouldn't buy the ready for dye cotton fabric and used white muslin or other white fabric they had. The difference was very obvious. The right fabric took the dye better and looked fantastic. The other fabrics looked crappy next to it. I discovered I wouldn't save money dying my own if buying the right fabric but the benefit was to get the exact colors I wanted and the fun of doing it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 AM

The ready to dye fabric is greige goods, which every textile buys. I'm looking for the greige goods, not the retail version of it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23 View Post
I was reading Quilting Arts the other day. They have two articles on dyeing your own fabric. I'd like to try their ice parfait method. While I have found a decent price manufacturer of soda ash and dyes, I can't find greige good manufactures that sell. Ok I have found the people who make the fabric but they don't sell to me I believe.

How do I get greige good quilting fabric, at a decent price so I can dye my own. Dharma has good prices on the dyes, but I don't feel like paying 6 bucks a yard, when I'm sure I can get it cheaper.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find it for less than $6.00 a yard. I doubt any manufacturers would sell it to you as they are generally whole sale only.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Greige goods are probably not what you want. This is the fabric that comes from the mill. After that a lot happens to it before it becomes ready for dyeing or printing. The processing involves big machinery, not something you can do in your home. Look for the book by Harriet Hargrave, From Fiber to Fabric, which describes it. Greige goods and fabric PFD are not the same.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Makes no sense to me to use cheap fabric for dyeing...garbage in, garbage out. That said, you can prepare any 'non-PFD' fabric for dyeing by washing it in hot water with ¼ cup of Synthrapol added to 'scrub' the chemicals and finishes off. Fabric Depot has PFD on sale for $5.20 if that helps you any.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Kona makes a good PFD cotton; it works very well for me, takes color nicely and colors are great. Don't know about greige goods tho, sorry.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Try Soft Expressions. They had some on sale/clearance. Think it is called PFD (prepared for dyeing).
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Banned

I have all that you need...you should have asked...dyeing is what I do....
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moonwolf23 View Post

you have to have GOOD fabric to dye...period...anything less and you won't get good results...PDF fabric costly...making your is cheaper, but you still need good quality fabric!