Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My googlefu is failing

My googlefu is failing

I was reading Quilting Arts the other day. They have two articles on dyeing your own fabric. I'd like to try their ice parfait method. While I have found a decent price manufacturer of soda ash and dyes, I can't find greige good manufactures that sell. Ok I have found the people who make the fabric but they don't sell to me I believe.

How do I get greige good quilting fabric, at a decent price so I can dye my own. Dharma has good prices on the dyes, but I don't feel like paying 6 bucks a yard, when I'm sure I can get it cheaper.

Blog Entries
    That's why quality hand dyed fabric is so expensive. At a workshop to dye fabric some wouldn't buy the ready for dye cotton fabric and used white muslin or other white fabric they had. The difference was very obvious. The right fabric took the dye better and looked fantastic. The other fabrics looked crappy next to it. I discovered I wouldn't save money dying my own if buying the right fabric but the benefit was to get the exact colors I wanted and the fun of doing it.
    Got fabric?

The ready to dye fabric is greige goods, which every textile buys. I'm looking for the greige goods, not the retail version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23 View Post
    I was reading Quilting Arts the other day. They have two articles on dyeing your own fabric. I'd like to try their ice parfait method. While I have found a decent price manufacturer of soda ash and dyes, I can't find greige good manufactures that sell. Ok I have found the people who make the fabric but they don't sell to me I believe.

How do I get greige good quilting fabric, at a decent price so I can dye my own. Dharma has good prices on the dyes, but I don't feel like paying 6 bucks a yard, when I'm sure I can get it cheaper.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find it for less than $6.00 a yard. I doubt any manufacturers would sell it to you as they are generally whole sale only.

Greige goods are probably not what you want. This is the fabric that comes from the mill. After that a lot happens to it before it becomes ready for dyeing or printing. The processing involves big machinery, not something you can do in your home. Look for the book by Harriet Hargrave, From Fiber to Fabric, which describes it. Greige goods and fabric PFD are not the same.

Makes no sense to me to use cheap fabric for dyeing...garbage in, garbage out. That said, you can prepare any 'non-PFD' fabric for dyeing by washing it in hot water with cup of Synthrapol added to 'scrub' the chemicals and finishes off. Fabric Depot has PFD on sale for $5.20 if that helps you any.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Kona makes a good PFD cotton; it works very well for me, takes color nicely and colors are great. Don't know about greige goods tho, sorry.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Try Soft Expressions. They had some on sale/clearance. Think it is called PFD (prepared for dyeing).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have all that you need...you should have asked...dyeing is what I do....

Banned
    Blog Entries

you have to have GOOD fabric to dye...period...anything less and you won't get good results...PDF fabric costly...making your is cheaper, but you still need good quality fabric!

Blog Entries
    $6 is about the best you are going to get. Even at that, I have noticed a huge difference in the quality of sateen fabric that I have always used this year, too. I have used muslin, kona and sateen. The last being my all time favorite. The sheen on it makes the dyes dance!

I would also suspect that the fabrics (grege goods) that you are trying to get are not sold by anyone in final retail consumer quantity. They are probably sold only in huge rolls for commercial customers and mainly overseas. Not found at my wholesalers.

Where?

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    Where do you purchase your dyes? Is Dharma the best place for "hobby" buyers like myself? I'm just getting into this -- I took a class and the process was much more involved that I thought but it was fun and the results were yummy.

I wouldn't want to waste all that time and effort with poor fabric although I might try over-dyeing some cheaper fabric as a 'speriment.

I have been dyeing fabric and clothing for my own use for several years now...I always go to Dharma and never have I regretted it. The only exception is when I buy a tone on tone white which I also dye but for a different effect. Dharma clothing blanks are such good quality that my [grown] kids even peruse the catalog for items they want me to dye for them. Everyone wants the bamboo socks for sure. I do buy my fabrics, cotton and silk, from them. Maybe I could find it cheaper else where but why would I want to chance not getting good dye results just because I want to save a few dollars. I find dyeing fabric to a fun summer project that never gets boring. On a side note if you have kids and want to do a quick non messy dye project try this:
    silk scarves, [you can use cotton or rayon but silk works best. I get prehemmed scarves from Dharma]
    sharpie pens
    rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle.
    Use the sharpies to color the fabric....in a pattern or in just blocks of color
    Spray the scarf with the rubbing alcohol, use a small amount to keep a pattern intact, with just blurring effect or use a lot of spray to have the colors run and blend. Let dry, and set with an iron on silk setting. The color is permanent at this point so if you want you can over color, spray and dry again. I also use fabric paint to add some additional elements such as dots or stripes. Also just use permanent stamping ink to rubber stamp images on the colored scarf.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I have been dyeing fabric for 10 years and have a great supplier of prepared-for-dyeing cottons.
    www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk
    I don't know if they export to the States. You can send for fabric samples. It may be worth sending an email to enquire.
    After trying several fabrics I have settled on the cotton percale, it takes the dye beautifully and is great to sew. It is 100 inches wide and so is economical. The thread count is quite high so I have to use best quality quilting needles in the machine or they blunt quite quickly. I hope you find what you need.
    Angela

ProChem for dye materials

You might try ProChem. They carry all you could need for dyeing, but I do not know about wholesale.

So how much do you sell yours for by the yard?

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post

I sold some of mine last year for 8.50 per metre, I haven't sold any this year and still have a stock of fabric for dyeing, but prices have gone up here considerably in the last 12 months.