Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Juki died >

My Juki died

My Juki died

Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 AM

Default My Juki died

My 2010Q finally gave it after 4 1/2 years of sewing almost every day and I am going thru withdrawals. The most I have found out is the motor shorted out. It's never been serviced before (that may be the problem). Has anyone ever sent one back to Juki for repair? I"m not impressed with the local shop. It's the first time I have had a repair and they seem to not care to work on it as it sits among more expensive Berninas.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Oh no! That doesn't seem very long to me. I have the same machine. I've had it about a year. I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone else will.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:01 AM

Let your tech know that you need it by a certain date. If the motor needs to be replaced, only a Juki dealer can get the motor. If your local shop isn't a Juki dealer, you'll need to send it back to Juki. Or buy a new motor from a Juki dealer and replace it yourself. Juki also makes the HQ "Stitch" machines. If you don't have a Juki dealer nearby, you can probably get the motor from a HQ dealer.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 AM

Wow, it seems like it should have lasted much much longer! pardon my asking: was there any event that you can remember or did it seem to just randomly die?

I ask because I have a 2010 that's 2 years old now and I hope I'm going to get many more years out of it!

ETA: I found the motor for it at my usual place where I've ordered accessories.
https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/mo...-q98-za0a.aspx

Last edited by Austinite; 08-20-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 AM

My 2010 started having electrical problems after 2.5 years. I took it to a Juki dealer and he was less than helpful. Juki corporate has been much better.

I ended up taking it to a different sewing repair place that has been in business for ages, and use to sell Juki. They contacted Juki and went through some troubleshooting and have a few more things they are going to check, and if that does not work they'll be replacing the main board at a cost of about $250. My repair person said he sees nothing on the main board to indicate something shorted out, so he's hoping it may just be a dirty sensor or something like that.

I'll be very happy if I can get my machine up and running again for under $300, as I was originally told it might not be cost effective to attempt to fix the electrical.

I'm very happy that the Juki tech support was willing to help the repair shop. Gives me a bit more confidence in doing with them in the future.

I seriously love my Juki 2010 and have not even wanted to visit my sewing room with it not there. I've got several machines with more electronics in them than the Juki, and they are still working fine, and the oldest is over 30 years old, and has never needed to go to the dealer for servicing (DH takes care of the routine stuff).

I did learn that if you disconnect the bobbin winder sensor, it will shut off all the electronics of the machine so I could at least sew with it as a fully mechanical machine. I'd lose the needle position stop, the thread cutter and the speed control.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-20-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Don't think not having service done is the cause. If the motor runs it's fine to repairman. I would buy a new motor if that is the problem and install it myself or take it to an electrical shop to do it. Most electrical shops are way cheaper then a dealer repair for a simple motor install. There is probably a youtube video how to do it. I changed out the foot pedal on my FW watching youtube. Saved me $175.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM

The pat answer is always 2 weeks. It will take 2 weeks. Love my Juki, I purchased it there. Just lousy service. I have been looking at the Juki mid arm but no way will I purchase it there. I am going to wait 2 more weeks then I will pick it up. No idea why it went out. Nothing different in what I was sewing, oiled on a regular basis. I guess I will try to find the next closest Juki dealer to take it to. I'm not savy enough to replace the motor myself.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM

The motor that Austinite posted looks like it'd be really easy to replace. If it's not completely buried in the middle of the machine, I'd be tempted to do it myself.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I had another Juki TL98QE bought about 2006 the motor burned up in it. Took to just a sewing machine repair shop they ordered another motor took 3 months to get and them to install. Cost me $390.00, this shop is not very good and only like money, heck with the customer. The Juki TLQE I use now was bought when the above one went out. I bought it in 2008, never been in the shop and I just FMQd 16 quilts on it. I keep it clean and oiled.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:26 AM

Two weeks is short time to have to wait for me....my Janome that I dropped and broke was in the shop for 7 months before I got it back. Still had to return it the following week for a small adjustment. Now it sews like a dream again.