Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My log cabin needs your help . . . >

My log cabin needs your help . . .

My log cabin needs your help . . .

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I am making a Log Cabin for my son for Christmas. I used the Barn Rasing arrangement. I put 3 borders on mine. I am attaching a picture for you to see. I took the photo late at night so it is dark, but you can see the way the borders are done. The first border is the red from the center of the block, the second is the first light and the third border is a complementary green but one not used in the blocks.

I hope this helps. Ultimately, a quilt is your unique design and since it is yours it is never done "wrong".
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275162.jpe  
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM

Okay, I'm going way out on a limb here but I really like the fact that it doesn't look like any log cabin I've seen. It's unique and it caught my eye immediately. I may have to make one like it. If it bothers you consider writing something down the right side and across the bottom in dark brown....a saying maybe or applique something on the right side and bottom.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 AM

A suggestion: Place a brown on the two light color sides and a light color fabric on the two sides with the brown in the log cabin block. Then put on a 2nd border maybe the brown again. Mitre the corners if possible. Audition this idea first to see if you like the set up. Log cabin was my first quilt and love it. Keep us posted on your decision.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by grammagayle
I didn't read all of the posts; but some are saying things about your sashing; but I don't think it's sashing, is it? The dark is just your last dark. I'd say just rearrange as others have said. Nice quilt blocks.
Thank you grammagayle for thoroughly reading my post. I did explain that the dark brown is NOT sashing, it's my 3rd dark. Many posters think it's sashing, in which case, I would know how to fix the problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by goatlady77
I am making a Log Cabin for my son for Christmas. I used the Barn Rasing arrangement. I put 3 borders on mine. I am attaching a picture for you to see. I took the photo late at night so it is dark, but you can see the way the borders are done. The first border is the red from the center of the block, the second is the first light and the third border is a complementary green but one not used in the blocks.

I hope this helps. Ultimately, a quilt is your unique design and since it is yours it is never done "wrong".
How many squares across and down is your log cabin? I don't know how I could rearrange my squares. . . it's only 3x4. Also, what size strips did you start with? I guess I could make it bigger, tho. Thanks for the picture. It's beautiful.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 AM

change the order you have them laid out/try different layouts
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by RonieM
Originally Posted by erstan947
I would put a dark brown border on the 2 sides that have only the white then border the whole quilt with another fabric. Looking good!!
I would do the same.
I also would do this since I think you want the layout you have shown in the photo and were not asking to rearrange any blocks. Even though the dark brown isn't sashing but part of the block, I think you can add that dark brown to the cream sides and it will be fine. (If you had more blocks, you could try out more arrangements but this one is just fine with the number of blocks you are working with.) Just add dark brown to the two cream sides and then if you have or can find a border fabric to go with it and you want it larger, add that too. If you wanted, you could also put a small border (of cream or red) between the dark brown and the larger outside border if you decide to add that. Bet your DD is going to love it!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by erstan947
I would put a dark brown border on the 2 sides that have only the white then border the whole quilt with another fabric. Looking good!!
Me too. :) Very pretty quilt, there!
I would do the same if this is your final layout choice.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM

The blocks are 12 1/2" and the strips are all 2 1/2" wide. This makes a finished block of 12" when sewn together. I made a long queen size, which is 4 blocks across and 6 blocks down. I added borders of 2 1/2 (red) 4 1/2 (white) and 6 1/2 (green). It was supposed to be for a full bed, but turned out large enough for a queen because of the extra wide borders. This way it will hang down about 12" on each side of a full bed.

It all depends on what size bed you are trying to fit. 3 x 4 is for a twin, 4 x 5 or 4 x 6 for a full/queen and 5 x 5 or 5 x 6 for a king size.

Have fun with it, that is the only reason to quilt, for the enjoyment you get making it and the enjoyment the person who receives it gets using it.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 AM

I've added 1 row across and 1 row down for my DD's log cabin quilt making it 4 x 5. Is there a site that shows me different ways to arrange the blocks keeping in mind I have 4 across by 5 down?