Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine quit sewing and I don't know why! >

My machine quit sewing and I don't know why!

My machine quit sewing and I don't know why!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM

I feel your pain. I have two machines down (Singer Featherweight and Janome QC) and my third one (Montgomery Wards) wants to join them!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

This is why I tell my hubby that I need a multitude of back up machines. You just never know.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM

It's completely dead now. I cannot figure out how to take the foot pedal apart, but all the cables going into it are fine.

My machine shop is closed. Googled replacement foot pedals and almost cried. An estimate from the machine place is in order.

I have 2 WIPs, one quilt that needs quilted SERIOUSLY, and I need to get these done so I can start my next ones. I swear, my quilting is therapy some days. Now I'll have to figure out how much to fix it so I can keep going.

I have 2 spare machines in the deep recesses of hubby's garage and there is probably 2 tons of crap between me and them. He doesn't even know where they are. They'd have to be fixed too, which is why they ended up in the garage in the first place.

I HATE it when my machine is down.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Sounds to me like a quick trip to the nearest store and pick up the cheapest entry sewing machine that suites your fancy to get you through until the sick machines have returned from the "machine hospital".

Pam M
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Reading all of this has made me think I should perhaps be looking for an inexpensive machine "just in case". I think my DIL has the one my mother had, an old New Home that sewed straight seams very well. Maybe I should get it back. I also have thought about leaving it there and teaching my granddaughters to sew next summer when they are 6 & 7. Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions! Guess I will go eat some chocolate and figure it all out.

Good luck on getting your machine back in order!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Great news! I found a generic foot pedal that works for my machine. It was 50 % off and I only paid 5 bucks for shipping. She sews like a dream now! My warm wishes is quilted and my 2 WIPs are a bit farther now....wooo hoooo!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by toomanycats
did you check the connection in the foot peddle? I ask because......get my viking all set up at new place and go to sew. nothing. check the connections...all set up. won't sew. take it apart...clean...won't sew...this goes on for a week of me moaning alternately with blinky blank machine something must of happened when we moved. So, finally trap my husband on a day off to go in there and look. He leans over the side and then asks what does this go to? I look at him and say that is the plug to the foot peddle, still clueless. He goes well, shouldn't it be plugged in too to the side of the machine? gee, it sewed.
I still haven't heard the end of it. I have also had the cord work lose where it plugs into the foot peddle. maybe just a lose connection or short wire? check that before taking it in. otherwise, go with it. working now and that is all that matters.
Well now, that would be embarrassing. :oops:
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM

My Brother has been saying Oh Brother the past few days too. Is it a full moon?