Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas >

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoting you: "It was an absolutely amazing gift to receive." Unquote. You are so correct. Your Quilting Angel Grandma is now smiling because the art of quilting has made it to yet another generation. Enjoy your gifts of tangible knowledge and let her soul guide you through many quilting projects. Congrats and thank you to your mother for preserving and passing this on to you.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM

The story brought tears to my eyes also. I miss my grandmother She didn't quilt but she crochet a lot. I have many of her doilies & table cloths. They are a treasure to me and I also have her crochet hook, which is special. I used to crochet but now I do quilting. Your mother is a gem!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM

What a treasure! What a blessing! And, what a darling little girl to model a lovely jacket. Enjoy this treasure and keep us posted on your progress as you "finish" what Grandma began. Hugs to your mom for sharing this with you. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. What memories you'll treasure from this gift.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM

That is so special to get a gift like that! I loved my maternal grandmother so much also and miss her. She didn't quilt but I loved to be with her. Enjoy! The jacket is fantastic and the little girl is a cutie pie.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM

What a wonderful gift. Congratulations. I was close to my grandmother too. She made many of my dresses when I was young. I can remember playing under her quilting frame which was dropped down from the ceiling through the pullies on the ceiling when her friends would come over for a quilting bee.

I love old black singers and I had collected 4 of them before I realized why I was drawn to them. She sewed on a straight stitch black singer when I was young (in the 50s). To me, that meant that the black singers were wonderful machines.
Since I have realized where my obsession came from with the singers and I have now told myself that I can not buy anymore of the straight stitch singers...(after I finish bidding on through ebay...ha, ha). I now have 6 black singers and the one on ebay will be my 7th working black singer.

Grandmothers are very special people.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Wow! What a wonderful gift. All those precious memories to work with and someday hand down to your younger loved ones. What a treasure!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Now to see through the misty eyes to write this; I miss my grandmother and grandfather very much. She was not a quilter but had a nice Singer treadle that none of my immediate cousins know where it wound up. But my grandfather's mother from Germany was a quilter....she gave my mother a doublering quilt for a wedding present which she made and it is safely stored currently in a trunk. I knew my great-grandmother for she died when I was a jr. in high school, but I don't remember ever seeing a sewing machine in her home but then I was probably too young and just don't remember. My grandfather told me once that her quilts were mostly wall hangings and in his mind they should have been cover to keep warm instead as he was growing up. Oh well-she must have loved quilting for she made not only my mother but her three sisters also a wedding gift quilt. Amazing....
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM

I was really hoping that in sharing this gift with you all, that you'd recall memories of your own mothers and grandmothers and the legacies they left you - whether that be a talent, knowledge, a gift for kind words or simply the memories of shared lives.

Someone mentioned that it seems that children aren't growing up to treasure their extended families any more and I agree. I feel very strongly that not enough parents and grandparents say the strong words like, "We are a family. Family is important. You always love family." and "This is important... remember it." I also believe that the more effort you put into a child, more time you spend truly listening to them and asking them to share with you, the more you will gain from the relationship.

My grandmother was not an old softie with us... we knew the lines and we respected both her and my grandfather as authorities in our lives. But they were somehow able to weave magic into our lives. The proof... my brother calls our grandfather once a week and shares his renovation business stories with him. My sister lives with my grandfather and helps him around the house. Our only cousin on that side of the family always stops at our grandfather's house first when she's in town. She's a missionary in Russia and her mother lives barely a mile from Grandpa... but she always stops there first.

Our parents and grandparents did such an amazing job. That's the true legacy I want to pass down to my children.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Your story almost has made me cry. How nice for you. Bless you and yours. This is wonderful