Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas >

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

This is the first I've signed on this site since Jan.14th when I got the news that my Mom was in the hospital and not expected to recover. Due to the weather and cancelations of so many flights I could not get a flight until Saturday so my husband and I jumped in the car and drove 12 straight hours (almost 800 miles) to get to my Mom. I didn't know they were keeping Mom on life support until I could get there. My sister and I had to make the hard decision; which we knew were her wishes, to turn off the machines Saturday morning. We buried Mom Tuesday. We drove home yesterday and yours was the first message I looked at. I'm sitting here crying with you.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM

((((((Joyce))))))) I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

So very sorry for your loss. After going through major unexpected decissions for my Mother I will say this. Be so glad you had your Sister to help you and greive with. It's so hard to carry the load of your loved ones illness and you question everything you did, afterwards. It's all so hard to handle, no matter what. Love gets you through it. So very thankful to my sister in law that helped me so very much. Still hard to let go.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you, everyone. I showed this thread to my mother. She was astounded by the number of responses and the love shared in this thread. It meant so much to her as it does to me.

Joyce, I am so very sorry for your loss. Words are so inadequate.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM

OMG! What an infinity gift, huge Priceless Treasure for you. I bet your heart will wonderfully fill up and swell as you work on her quilt, and ever after... Her blocks are colorful and look beautifully done. Enjoy the process and feel it completely; that, too, is a gift. My Mom was a great seamstress and made clothes with the same/similar attention to detail. (She's 83 yo and doesn't sew anymore.)
BTW - hello from Scott's Addition - near the Diamond, off the Blvd., Richmond city. Do you go to Quilting Adventures?

Joyce, so sorry for your loss. Been there when it was my Daddy's time. It was easy w/ him because Alzheimer's took him away long before. Be sure to take very good care of yourself now.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM

What a wonderful story and gift! Your plan sounds super. Make sure to post a pic when you're done!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Your story was one of the most touching I have read when it comes to a grandmother's love. Kudos to your mom for passing this all on to you!