Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas >

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

My mom gave me my grandma for Christmas

Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 AM

what a wonderful story made me stop and think about all the great things my own greatma left me with boy i sure do miss her
Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 AM

Your story has touched me so much..... I didn't have a grandmother. My dad was an orphan and my mom's mother was bedridden till she died when I was 15. I'm trying to be the best grandmother that I wished I had as a child. I've been so lucky to teach my granddaughter how to sew and spin. I now have a great granddaughter, too. We have a special bond and I hope she will enjoy my 'stuff' when I'm gone like you are enjoying your grandmother's things.

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM

Wonderful story. I lost my favorite Grandma when I turned 18. I still miss her. That was 45 years ago!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM

...and when you have finished her quilt, she'll be able to wrap herself around you and hold you close.

Your lovely story has left me weepy.

(I have my grandmother's scissors, also. I remember when she gave them to me - the enormity of the moment... what it Meant. A woman doesn't give away her scissors...

("These are the best scissors," she quietly said. She was smiling and her eyes were glistening and she looked closely into mine. I was only able to manage a, "Thank You, Gramma," and hold her hand.

(The scissors are shiny stainless steel, just a few stains on them; and, in tiny writing, she has her name, "Hazel," written on a torn scrap of paper and taped to the 'joint' of them. They hang on my pegboard. I just used them yesterday. She was right, you know... they Are the best scissors.)
Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 AM

Oh what a wonderful memory. I have tears, too. Thank you for sharing. It makes me realize how important it is for us to leave memories like this for our children and grands. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful grandma memories with us.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 AM

That is such a sweet story. :)
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 AM

I loved my grandma too.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 AM

What wonderful memories! All you received should be cherished, including the box of kleenex.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
...and when you have finished her quilt, she'll be able to wrap herself around you and hold you close.

Your lovely story has left me weepy.

(I have my grandmother's scissors, also. I remember when she gave them to me - the enormity of the moment... what it Meant. A woman doesn't give away her scissors...

("These are the best scissors," she quietly said. She was smiling and her eyes were glistening and she looked closely into mine. I was only able to manage a, "Thank You, Gramma," and hold her hand.

(The scissors are shiny stainless steel, just a few stains on them; and, in tiny writing, she has her name, "Hazel," written on a torn scrap of paper and taped to the 'joint' of them. They hang on my pegboard. I just used them yesterday. She was right, you know... they Are the best scissors.)
Thanks for sharing these heartwarming stories. I read the first story misty eyed. The scissors have me weeping. I've only recently come to appreciate all of the treasures my grandmother had. She died when I was 13. I often wonder what happened to her treadle machine and featherweight. I'm fortunate to have a box of tatting she did and a set of mother-of-pearl handled crochet hooks.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 AM

What a wonderful story. Kinda reminds me of a book i'm reading. You have a very thoughtful mother.