Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: my mother's day gifts

my mother's day gifts

My daughter went to an auction and there was a big box of craft/sewing supplies. One thing that was in it was a paper tape measure fold up and some thread on wooden spools. Has anyone ever seen a paper tape measure?

Lots of goodies in this laundry basket, Isabella sat in my lap and opened all the gifts.

IKEA gives away paper meter sticks.

I have seen them but it has been a long time. Sometimes they were included with something you ordered or could get to be sure to measure before ordering clothes.
    Carol

Keep the wooden spools They are collectable ! Hugs

lots of stores give away the paper tape measures. I think the last of the wooden spools went the way of the dodo bird in the late 70's

What a wonderful gift..I received the best gift I ever got for mother's day this year..My kids got together and made me a basket of quilting threads, notions and fat quarters..It was the first time real thought went into a gift ~They were upset because it wasn't a lot of money (to them it was tho) Love these kids!

Blog Entries
    I have one that belonged to my mother.

I have come across several in my estate sale and auction finds. Usually they are torn or only a partial tape. I only save them if they are intact and complete. I love finding sewing stuff that's not available anymore and have accumulated quite a collection. My kids will have a real mess on their hands when I die...... lots of sewing stuff and they don't sew.

My mother had a paper tape. We used it all the time. Then it stayed in the car so if we need to measure anything while we were out.
    L. Kay

Blog Entries
    I have one in my sewing notions collection, along with lots of wooden spools full of thread. They are so beautiful, some have silk thread.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Yes, have used one a number of times in my younger days. In fact I learned to sew with one my mom had, now is that telling my age? I think I may have had one in the earlier days of my marriage, don't know if it is still around or not, but as I go thru my sewing supplies will have to watch for it.

Yes I have, in fact I have a few lying around here somewhere. Now the one I really would like to run across is the cloth ones.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have one from an estate sale I went to a while back. It was in a pattern bag from McCall's along with the pattern and material for the project.

When I taught Science we had paper tape measures, Metric, for the students. We covered them with clear tape to prevent tears. I keep one in my purse to measure at garage sales.

Power Poster
    I may have one or two left over from my "younger" days when I first started sewing, and I do have a few wooden spools in my sewing box. I think what your daughter did was giving you a very special and thoughtful gift. My DD is taking me to JoAnn's for my Mother's Day gift later this week. She says she can't afford much, but it is so much more wonderful because of the thought behind it, and since she's between jobs at the moment, I don't want her spending much money. It will be one of our "Mother/Daughter" bonding times, which I cherish.

Blog Entries
    My mothers day gift is a 5 day trip to Washington State. I can't wait. Going in August ..

Blog Entries
    Well, I got the ultimate redneck mother's day gift: A gun rack for my .22! Made by my son at my request.
    TwandasMom

IKEA has paper ones and the hospitals use to give them with bab measurements marked but that was a long time ago