Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New baby, it a Bernina  :) >

My New baby, it a Bernina :)

My New baby, it a Bernina :)

Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM
mac

Wow, wow, wow! You got a wonderful deal.

My first Bernina was the 1230 and then I traded up to the 1530. I have to say that I was sorry I did that. The 1530 was great, but there was just something about the 1230 I liked better.

The stitches are easy to use, you just press the button, which is one of the reasons that I like it better than the 1530. The only big differences between the two machines is that 1530 makes the extra long basting stitch which I used a lot until it started getting stuck on me and then the needle bar wouldn't move up and down any more. I finally figured out how to get it going after I took it to a service repairman and he showed me what to do.

The other thing is that the 1530 has more decorative stitches. Over the years I stopped using the decorative stitches, so that doesn't matter any more.

So, if you really want to feel extra good about your deal, let me tell you this. My quilting friend had been using this rinky-dink sewing machine and to me, it was more like a toy than a real sewing machine. We were in a Bernina store and they had a 1230 in great running condition and I sold her on buying the machine. It cost her $950.

Considering that all the parts from the 1530 fit the 1230, I say you practically stole that machine. Good for you!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM

Great score! Enjoy.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM

Late to the party, but congratulations! You must've been very happy (and you are probably still thrilled!).

I would love to have such good luck. Where should I be looking? You mentioned you found it at a "local resale shop" -- do you mean a thrift store or Goodwill or some sort of resale sewing shop or ?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Wow, wow, wow! You got a wonderful deal.

My first Bernina was the 1230 and then I traded up to the 1530. I have to say that I was sorry I did that. The 1530 was great, but there was just something about the 1230 I liked better.

The stitches are easy to use, you just press the button, which is one of the reasons that I like it better than the 1530. The only big differences between the two machines is that 1530 makes the extra long basting stitch which I used a lot until it started getting stuck on me and then the needle bar wouldn't move up and down any more. I finally figured out how to get it going after I took it to a service repairman and he showed me what to do.

The other thing is that the 1530 has more decorative stitches. Over the years I stopped using the decorative stitches, so that doesn't matter any more.
I hardly ever used the decorative stitches on my 1530. What I haven't gotten use to is the reverse on the 1530 is larger and in a great place. I have yet to get down the button pushing twice.

It runs find but I did some sewing a noticed a tiny know was formed about every 6". Switched bobbin and it still occurred. Haven't had a chance to change the needle yet.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM

I'm so happy for you! Truly I love to hear stories like this.