Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new challenge! >

My new challenge!

My new challenge!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:38 AM

Default My new challenge!

Spent yesterday late afternoon/evening at a friend's house..did not want to face carloads of trick or treaters..anyway....several years ago she made a cathedral window quilt-about twin size......I never tried that process but decided I wanted to learn....so she showed me....I think I'm hooked! Every year I like to try to give myself a challenge/goal...and this may be this year's......it took her almost two yrs to finish, doing it nightly after coming home from her job......I don't know how far I will get...maybe only a pillow cover, but it is going to be a challenge....hexies will have to " move aside" for awhile.

Who here has done cathedral windows?
If I were to do a full bed size( ha,ha) how much background fab would I need...about a bolt?...........and also at least two lifetimes!

Have found a few good hints on YouTube, of course too, even my friend liked a few of the hints........

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

We have 2 great tutorials on this board:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t145154.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...al-t35742.html
Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have attempted to make the cathedral window quilt many times, using new ways and the old ways. I have never finished anything but a small project using them. I love making hexies so I don't know why I can't continue with the cathedral window.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: remove off topic
Old 11-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Paper princess...yes I have hard copy of the tute on machine from here.....looked at the hand one also, but too much hand work. I found a tute on YouTube that does the beginning step, not by folding over fab, but butting and zigzag stitching, then when joining the squares..do machine straight stitch on that fold...and I took a bit of machine tute from here....sewing those pesky four points with a lock stitch......so mine will be a combo of a few techniques...I better write them down so I don't forget!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 AM

I made one by machine -- I loved it. You will have to decide what size you are making to figure out how much background fabric -- I can't remember how big a square I started with but it does take a lot of fabric!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Now I have been practicing on the cathedral window and couple other patterns. They're going into my sampler crazy quilt maybe!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: remove off topic
Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 AM

My grandmother made one many years ago by hand. I have it - twin size. It is quite heavy. Every time that I wash it - I have to spend hours "mending" it where the stitches have broken. So, I have put it away and won't use it anymore. I might take it apart and make a couple of pillow covers out of it - but that would require washing them also. Don't know about the machine pieced one though - might hold up better.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:05 AM

There is a book out that teaches the machine version of the cathedral window. My LQS taught a class using the book. It was fun to make, but I only made a small wall hanging. It takes a LOT of fabric, but it is finished. You don't have to add batting, backing and quilt it when you're done. They are beautiful.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 PM

I made a pillow once and my daughter's dog chewed it up. Never attempted it again but i remember enjoying doing it. I'll put that on my to do list for 2015 then maybe I'll get to it after I finish the to do list I made for 2012.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I made one by machine -- I loved it. You will have to decide what size you are making to figure out how much background fabric -- I can't remember how big a square I started with but it does take a lot of fabric!
How by machine...do you mean sewing those little scalloped frames down with straight stitch? I did that on a sample, after I handsewed two down, and honestly I am tempted to do all by machine...I have my hexies as hand work....

I also saw a book on how to machine sew cathedrals by Shelley Swanland...am tempted to buy....anyone have it..is it good?

I am also thinking if I use good grade bleached muslin instead of kona, for instance, the bulk and weight might be reduced....just mulling over possibilities.......have a boatload of squares for the windows..that's no prob!