Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new Old Singer >

My new Old Singer

My new Old Singer

Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Looks like it's probably a 66 model, love the "wispy" looking decals. It should clean up very well. They are very solid machines, and pretty easy to work on if you are the least bit handy.

Try here for narrowing down a date and model based on serial number: ISMACS Singer dating info.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Great find. Did it come with the scrap pin holder? neat idea!
Yes it did. When the young man was trying to find the model # for me he was going to cut it off. I said NOooooooooooooooo LOL

Thanks for all the replys I will go to the vintage forum. She is so beautiful.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

If Bill, lostin51 is feeling up to it he can help you with it all. Charlie can too. There is lots of help here.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Great machine.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 AM

If I'm reading the serial number right, (I had to enlarge the photo, but see it as AC045823) you have a model 66 commissioned February 1, 1928. VERY nice looking machine, but I'd get rid of that pin strip on it...those pins tend to cause "pin rash" on the machines making scratches and weakening the clear coat.

To clean your machine. If the machine moves freely and makes stitches, you don't need to tear it apart! Go to You Tube and do a search for "MuvandFarve". Muv has some awesome videos there that show and explain how to clean these vintage girls without having to strip it down to nothing. Use sewing machine oil to clean the exterior of the machine, and then polish it with non abrasive car wax... TR3 Resin wax is tough stuff and will help to protect the finish and the decals.

Congrats!! You have a lovely machine for an EXCELLENT price that will last you AND your grandchildren a lifetime, and then some! She's a workhorse and a half, you're so going to love using her! Whatcha gonna name her?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 AM

It is a 66 and you are lucky in that it looks like it has a side clamping foot (some came with a back clamping foot) and you will be able to use most any low shank foot or attachment. You decals do look to be in very good condition.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If I'm reading the serial number right, (I had to enlarge the photo, but see it as AC045823) you have a model 66 commissioned February 1, 1928. VERY nice looking machine, but I'd get rid of that pin strip on it...those pins tend to cause "pin rash" on the machines making scratches and weakening the clear coat.

To clean your machine. If the machine moves freely and makes stitches, you don't need to tear it apart! Go to You Tube and do a search for "MuvandFarve". Muv has some awesome videos there that show and explain how to clean these vintage girls without having to strip it down to nothing. Use sewing machine oil to clean the exterior of the machine, and then polish it with non abrasive car wax... TR3 Resin wax is tough stuff and will help to protect the finish and the decals.

Congrats!! You have a lovely machine for an EXCELLENT price that will last you AND your grandchildren a lifetime, and then some! She's a workhorse and a half, you're so going to love using her! Whatcha gonna name her?
Thanks to all that have given me such good information. I did plug her in and she just did a little hum.
So more than just a cleaning is needed. I do think that the cabinet can be repaired, the top has lifted and peeled back but it is sturdy. I had no idea what a machine like this is worth but was sure $20.00 was a darn good price. If and when I ever come across another vintage how do I find out what they are worth? When I bought my FW I knew how much they were going for. I love the look of the pin strap but it will come off today!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM

In my area of NY state $20 is an average price. Many remain on Craigslist unsold at that price. I would never pay more. After all, they are as common as dirt....Singer made millions and millions of them. I demo quilting on a treadle at the NY State Fair every year on a..you guessed it...a 66 Redeye treadle. I paid $20 for that machine in a very nice treadle cabinet. I have a 66 Lotus treadle in my living room.

Where our country was less developed in the early part of that century, I suppose they would be more rare and more valuable....but I don't know for sure..
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM

It just all depends on the machine, the area, and what you're willing to pay as to value of these old girls...anywhere from $5 to $150 for the more common machines...up to thousands for the more rare treasures.

As for your machine just "humming"...did you try turning the handwheel at the same time? Did it take off then? Check the belt for tightness before you take on more than you need to...