Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new scrap sorting system >

My new scrap sorting system

My new scrap sorting system

Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM

I am new at Quilting and my house shows it.
I am so glad to have found this site.
I'm going back to reading.

Thanks for letting me join. Charlye
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

I start with the large scraps in one tub, when that gets full I put the smaller scraps in another tub, when that gets full I start cutting. I cut 6 1/2 blocks. Strips I cut in to what ever is close to 2". I sort the strips in to two drawers, light and dark. I love to do string quilts so I always have some ready.The 6 1/2 blocks go in a different drawer.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by farscapegal
I just put them in bins by color and cut them when I need them into the size I will be using.

Sybil
Where do you get enough bins to put them in?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
I have a great system: when I finish cutting a quilt, all the small peces go into a drawer then if I need something later.....I DIG! haha! Works every time!Yours sounds nice but only if you come over & do it! Too much like work & I've been retired for 10 years!!! :lol: haha!
That's my scrap system too. It works for me........for now anyway.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I was inspired by the scrap quilts I see on the board, and by the Multitasking post (and by the fact that my scraps no longer fit in the storage bin that they live in :shock: ), so I'm going through now and sorting/cutting everything into categories:

5" square
3.5" square
2.5" strips
1.5" squares
Donate

And in theory, when I cut fabric for a new quilt, I'm going to immediate cut it into usable scrap pieces and keep the bin mostly empty.

I've spent the last hour ironing (and made a very slight dent in the scraps), and I wanted to take a break and share with y'all! :mrgreen:
I like your style. (I'm not a "scrapper" but would love to be). I think I might try this, except I may do strips instead of squares for the 3 1/2 and the 2 1/2, since I'm a "stripper." :lol:

P>S> When is a piece qualitied to be a scrap? :roll:
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 AM

I have started organizing my scraps by cutting 10" squares, then 5" squares or 2 1/2" strips. I can always resize them into smaller pieces later depending on the quilt I want to do. I have been quilting almost a year and I love it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GailG

I like your style. (I'm not a "scrapper" but would love to be). I think I might try this, except I may do strips instead of squares for the 3 1/2 and the 2 1/2, since I'm a "stripper." :lol:

P>S> When is a piece qualitied to be a scrap? :roll:
When I first began quilting, I had very limited space (one bookcase) so a scrap was anything I was done with. As I'm going through my bin, I found 2 full pieces that are almost half of a yard each. At the time, I had nowhere else for them and no other intended use, so they went into the scrap bin.

Now, I have a big ol' closet which is filled with lots of pieces of fabric, so I would've put those fabrics on the shelves. And now scraps are the bits left over. Usually under 1/4 yard... or once I start taking pieces out of it, I put it in the scrap bin. I don't want to pick it off the shelf and find out that I'm short on fabric since I'm missing hunks.

I'm also getting better at buying the right amount of fabric for a project so that cuts down the 1/2 yard leftovers, since that's a bit much :D
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Oh, also ugly fabric, that usually goes into the scrap bin faster, regardless of size in some cases :-D
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM

I do almost the same thing but take it one step further and use clear shoe boxs for sorting by color-when they get full i have enough for a scrappy quilt...I got this idea from my scrap booking sisters and thought why not? i save paper scraps why not fabric scraps.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM

i cut mines into usable strips. then i roll them up into lite, medium, and dark jelly rolls. i use the selvages to tie them off and staple a piece of paper noting the strips size. now my scraps look eatable.

tea