Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new scrap sorting system >

My new scrap sorting system

My new scrap sorting system

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Okay ... starting a scrappy quilt projects pictorial diary ... right?
I can do that! (Especially since most of what I do is this sort of thing) ...
I will go start the thread ... or, I will find a link to a thread that was started for just this reason.
I have never been certified, so I have always denied it, but ... ! considering who is playing with the scraps <g> might be a crazy quilt! ... I just sort of consider the border strips to be a unique setting for a block ... the fact that the block is actually only visible with a magnifying glass, doesn't intimidate me! LOL
Will return with a thread addy/link ... or will start one.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/28177.page

so, I am expecting everyone to put some scraps together to make blocks <g> And, have fun!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM

I have a sort of a system for scraps:

I have a "crumb bag" hanging within easy reach of my cutting mat, and anything larger than an inch goes into that. One of the ladies at our guild has promised to teach "Mile-a-Minute" this year, so that's what I'm saving my "crumbs" for.

I have a box that all my scrap strips go in. In the new year
I'm going to use them to make a log cabin wall hanging for our guild's annual challenge.

All my batik scraps go in another box, and I use them for an EPP project I'm working on. I've also started cutting 2" squares from my batik scraps because I'm planning to do a Cathedral Windows quilt once I've finished my EPP project.

Anything the size of a fat-eighth or bigger gets folded back up and put in with my fat quarters. Our guild does BOMs, and I often use small peices for those.

All other scraps go in yet another box. One day I'll use them for a scrappy quilt of some kind or another!

Jan
Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM

omak, you are so naughty! I love Bonnie Hunter's site and I ended up spending something like 4 hours playing in there and using up all my printer ink. :P I started to email the Workshop Chairman in my local guild to see if we could bring her to teach, but the selfish part of me doesn't want to. Once all those ladies realize the possibilities that are there for scraps, they won't give them to me anymore. See, selfish. :oops:

Now I have to check out the new thread. Thanks for putting one up!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM

naughty? Moi???? surely, you jest! LOL
Bonnie Hunter (quiltville.com) writes so well.
Not to worry about running out of scraps - - there are some quilters who absolutely do NOT do scraps! and, bless their hearts, they pass them on to talented quilters such as yourself.
Is now the time to tell y'all about my teaching my DSIL about shopping at her local thrift store for the TONS of fine shirts, skirts, blouses, and sheets just wanting to jump into your scrap stash???
Not all thrift stores are created equal, and in my home area, the senior citizen thrift stores and Goodwill are the bees knees for finding those special colors. I am not a purist ... I will blend polys into my quilts, if that is the color I want. I tend to stay within a weight family. However, on the back, I use 100% cotton, since polyesther tends to not cuddle so well as a well-washed cotton.

Originally Posted by Tiffany
omak, you are so naughty! I love Bonnie Hunter's site and I ended up spending something like 4 hours playing in there and using up all my printer ink. :P I started to email the Workshop Chairman in my local guild to see if we could bring her to teach, but the selfish part of me doesn't want to. Once all those ladies realize the possibilities that are there for scraps, they won't give them to me anymore. See, selfish. :oops:

Now I have to check out the new thread. Thanks for putting one up!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com has a fabulous idea for a scrap saver system. It makes good sense and helps me to find the scrap size I need quickly.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:35 PM

agreed! makes good sense, is thoughtfully and carefully explained, AND - - she walks the talk by providing all those neat scrap patterns!
What a gift she is ... what a blessing.

Originally Posted by lneal
Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com has a fabulous idea for a scrap saver system. It makes good sense and helps me to find the scrap size I need quickly.